2DWorlds Forums
For New Members - Read this first - Printable Version

+- 2DWorlds Forums (http://2dworlds.buildism.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (http://2dworlds.buildism.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself (http://2dworlds.buildism.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: For New Members - Read this first (/showthread.php?tid=4721)

Pages: 1 2

For New Members - Read this first - Jacob__mybb_import1 - 05-18-2011

This forum is for you! We'd love to get to know you and have you become a constructive part of the community, so help us out by posting a few facts about yourself here. This can be anything from your hobbies to what kind of pets you have, as long as it isn't anything too personal (keep in mind the internet safety guidelines).

We may discuss some things from your introduction post with you. Don't be alarmed, as that is why we are on this forum--to have group discussions. If you don't want to share something or answer a question we ask, that is totally OK.

-Jacob_ (creator of Buildism)

RE: For New Members - Read this first - Qwertygiy - 05-18-2011

Feel free to talk about what other types of games you like, if you are any good at coding languages, what sports teams you root for (and which you really don't like), and just about anything that you feel can help you fit in (or stand out in) our community.

For example, I am pretty good at using Lua, I love sports games, and am a UNC fan.

-Qwertygiy, Moderator

RE: For New Members - Read this first - Kieron - 05-18-2011

It really helps if you know how to use lua!
Buildism uses a dummy version of lua, meaning a simplified version.
Check out the wiki to learn:
print("Hi!")
to
print(Yourname, "has the user id of", userid"!")

-Kieron, Novice scripter

RE: For New Members - Read this first - Qwertygiy - 05-18-2011

.. Close enough for demonstration.

And how is it a 'dummy' version? I thought it was about as complete as most other building games' versions of Lua.

(05-18-2011, 07:11 PM)Qwertygiy Wrote: .. Close enough for demonstration.

And how is it a 'dummy' version? I thought it was about as complete as most other building games' versions of Lua.

By dummy, I mean more secure.

RE: For New Members - Read this first - Jacob__mybb_import1 - 05-18-2011

The Java port of Lua is missing a lot of the stuff in the OS library, which is actually a good thing since you can't make a game that breaks the computer of anyone who plays it. Big Grin

(05-18-2011, 07:15 PM)Jacob_ Wrote: The Java port of Lua is missing a lot of the stuff in the OS library, which is actually a good thing since you can't make a game that breaks the computer of anyone who plays it. Big Grin

:{D

RE: For New Members - Read this first - blubex - 07-18-2011

Hi, I'm blubex, I think at least Jacob_ knows me, and I have a pretty full understanding of HTML, PHP, CSS, Javascript, and some Java.
I'm glad to get started with this game!

RE: For New Members - Read this first - Qwertygiy - 07-18-2011

(07-18-2011, 07:30 PM)blubex Wrote: HTML, PHP, CSS, Javascript, and some Java.

Too bad none of those are used in making games Tongue

RE: For New Members - Read this first - Blandflakes - 07-18-2011

(07-18-2011, 07:32 PM)Qwertygiy Wrote:
(07-18-2011, 07:30 PM)blubex Wrote: HTML, PHP, CSS, Javascript, and some Java.

Too bad none of those are used in making games Tongue

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the buildism game is written in Java. Tongue