2DWorlds Forums
Ideas - What are your opinions? - Printable Version

+- 2DWorlds Forums (http://2dworlds.buildism.net/forum)
+-- Forum: 2DWorlds (http://2dworlds.buildism.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: News (http://2dworlds.buildism.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Ideas - What are your opinions? (/showthread.php?tid=8885)

Pages: 1 2

Ideas - What are your opinions? - Jacob__mybb_import1 - 02-22-2012

Lately I've been thinking about making Buildism easier to use, and also more different from that 3D game making program that everyone likes to post about. Here are the main things I'm going to do:
  • No more adding characters or starting/stopping physics. You just build your game, then click a "Test" button to add a character, run all scripts and start the physics. When you leave test mode, everything will be reset.
  • No more script objects. Instead, all scripting is done through events (like the current events menu that you get when you right click something.) The only way to run event scripts is to test the game, but they will be checked for syntax errors as you type.

Here is a prototype of the new editor layout, ignore my horrible sketching.
[Image: xFMfi.jpg]

RE: Ideas - What are your opinions? - Qwertygiy - 02-22-2012

(02-22-2012, 04:24 AM)Jacob_ Wrote: [*]No more script objects. Instead, all scripting is done through events (like the current events menu that you get when you right click something.) The only way to run event scripts is to test the game, but they will be checked for syntax errors as you type.

I like the checking for syntax errors part a lot; however, making them only use events would make having indefinitely looping scripts slightly more difficult.

RE: Ideas - What are your opinions? - Hippo - 02-22-2012

Maybe you could make it optional which editor you use?

RE: Ideas - What are your opinions? - Duck - 02-22-2012

(02-22-2012, 04:24 AM)Jacob_ Wrote:
  • No more script objects. Instead, all scripting is done through events (like the current events menu that you get when you right click something.) The only way to run event scripts is to test the game, but they will be checked for syntax errors as you type.

nonononononononononononononnoonononononononononoo

RE: Ideas - What are your opinions? - Jacob__mybb_import1 - 02-22-2012

(02-22-2012, 02:03 PM)Qwertygiy Wrote:
(02-22-2012, 04:24 AM)Jacob_ Wrote: [*]No more script objects. Instead, all scripting is done through events (like the current events menu that you get when you right click something.) The only way to run event scripts is to test the game, but they will be checked for syntax errors as you type.

I like the checking for syntax errors part a lot; however, making them only use events would make having indefinitely looping scripts slightly more difficult.

Infinite loops are almost always bad design anyway, so I'll probably make "while true do" a syntax error. In java, a while loop with a sleep() in it causes a compiler warning.

sleep() will be also be done away with, since it causes more bugs than it's worth. To replace sleeping and using infinite loops, I'll add something like the setTimeout() function in JavaScript, so you could do this:

[lua]function doSomething()
print("something")
setTimeout(doSomething, 0.5) --call the function again after 5 seconds
end
doSomething()
[/lua]
All of that code would go in the game.Started event that will be added.

You could also do this put this in a Clicked event limit the firing rate of weapons: (object will be the object that the event goes with, to replace "script")
[lua]
if not object.Enabled.Value then return end
object.Enabled.Value = false
setTimeout(function() object.Enabled.Value = true end, 5)
[/lua]

RE: Ideas - What are your opinions? - Mustachio - 02-22-2012

[Image: tumblr_lx5lqyG19e1qaa7gwo1_400.jpg]

RE: Ideas - What are your opinions? - Dignity - 02-22-2012

So... no more scripts?

I thought you wanted games...

RE: Ideas - What are your opinions? - Jacob__mybb_import1 - 02-22-2012

Tell me one thing that won't be able to be done with the new scripting system.

Also, I'm pretty sure the old one would be more confusing if you hadn't used Roblox first.

RE: Ideas - What are your opinions? - Glome - 02-22-2012

I like the idea.

Also, fix the triangles.

RE: Ideas - What are your opinions? - Paradox - 02-23-2012

I like this, it's seem a lot similar to Blockland's Event system, which I really liked also.