2DWorlds Forums
History Homework - Printable Version

+- 2DWorlds Forums (http://2dworlds.buildism.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (http://2dworlds.buildism.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://2dworlds.buildism.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: History Homework (/showthread.php?tid=9216)

Pages: 1 2

History Homework - Kieron - 04-25-2012

In History, the class has finished WW2 and are now moving onto British History. Our homework is to do anything relevant to English History, so, because I'm lazy, I'm gonna do a simple factfile.

-England hasn't been successfully invaded for 1000 years
-The last attempted invasion was during WW2
-It owned the largest empire recorded
-It was supposedly the strongest and richest country on the planet until 1918
-England is one of the longest surviving countries
-Most modern technology was invented by the British
-It lost against armed peasants and 10000 French 300 years ago
-It then came close to defeat again 30 years later
-Hitler admired how one of the smallest nations raised the largest empire
-Hitler never wanted to attack Britain
-Queen Victoria's grandson brought Germany into WW1
-The machine gun was invented in Britain
-Despite having 7x the numbers of the Romans, they still lost and most were killed 2000 years ago.
-It took the Roman's 100+ years to successfully invade England

RE: History Homework - Qwertygiy - 04-25-2012

(04-25-2012, 08:36 PM)Kieron Wrote: -Most modern technology was invented in Britain

Again... modern technology.... it really depends on what you mean by that.

Radio? Nope, Marconi was Italian [and my dad swears he stole it from the Vatican Church, which had supposedly been keeping it a secret for centuries]. Telephone? Nope, as we discussed a few months ago Bell distinctly called himself an American and invented it in America. Computers? Nope, Germany and the US made the first major comptuers, although Alan Turing was one of the most influental people in the early computing field. Cars? Nope, and even nowadays there aren't many British cars here in America compared to Japanese or German or American ones. "Modern" factories? Yes... but Charles D. wasn't making things up. And no, I'm not talking about Darwin. Although he wasn't making things up either.

RE: History Homework - Kieron - 04-25-2012

(04-25-2012, 08:52 PM)Qwertygiy Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 08:36 PM)Kieron Wrote: -Most modern technology was invented in Britain

Again... modern technology.... it really depends on what you mean by that.

Radio? Nope, Marconi was Italian [and my dad swears he stole it from the Vatican Church, which had supposedly been keeping it a secret for centuries]. Telephone? Nope, as we discussed a few months ago Bell distinctly called himself an American and invented it in America. Computers? Nope, Germany and the US made the first major comptuers, although Alan Turing was one of the most influental people in the early computing field. Cars? Nope, and even nowadays there aren't many British cars here in America compared to Japanese or German or American ones. "Modern" factories? Yes... but Charles D. wasn't making things up. And no, I'm not talking about Darwin.

Radio, I can give you that.
The Telephone was invented by someone born and raised in Scotland. Although it was invented in an America, it was a British invention.
The first major computer was made in WW2 for the British to crack the enigma and computer technology was made by Charles Babbage, either way it's still british. Cars, I can give you that.

RE: History Homework - Paradox - 04-25-2012

(04-25-2012, 08:55 PM)Kieron Wrote: Although it was invented in an America, it was a British invention.

[Image: jackie-chan-wtf.png]

If it's invented in America, it's an american invention.

Also, we are arguing over the internet which was also invented in California.

RE: History Homework - Fat_Sacks - 04-25-2012

Wasn't Television invented in China, or something?
And weren't helicopters invented by a Russian dood?

(04-25-2012, 09:08 PM)Paradox Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 08:55 PM)Kieron Wrote: Although it was invented in an America, it was a British invention.

[Image: jackie-chan-wtf.png]

If it's invented in America, it's an american invention.

Also, we are arguing over the internet which was also invented in California.

Was Alexander Graham Bell American? -country- Invention doesn't refer to WHERE it was invented, but by the nationality of the inventor.

Technically, we are arguing over the World Wide Web, which is British.

@Interwebs
Television is another Scottish Invention

No one said helicopters were british, although, an unknown fact is that the Wright Brother's used George Cayley's(a British Engineer) studies to get their biplane to work.

RE: History Homework - Dignity - 04-25-2012

(04-25-2012, 09:17 PM)Kieron Wrote: [quote='Paradox' pid='79747' dateline='1335388098']
[quote='Kieron' pid='79743' dateline='1335387322']Technically, we are arguing over the WORLD WIDE Web, which is British.

How is the WORLD WIDE Web British?

(04-25-2012, 09:19 PM)Dignity Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 09:17 PM)Kieron Wrote: [quote='Paradox' pid='79747' dateline='1335388098']
[quote='Kieron' pid='79743' dateline='1335387322']Technically, we are arguing over the WORLD WIDE Web, which is British.

How is the WORLD WIDE Web British?

It was invented by an Englishman >.>

(04-25-2012, 09:17 PM)Kieron Wrote: Technically, we are arguing over the World Wide Web, which is British.

Where did you get that the WWW was British? The WWW was first invented in Switzerland by a guy at CERN named Time Berners-Lee. It was named "ENQUIRE".

Also, if an invention was invented in country X and the inventor was born in country Y, the invention is country X's invention.

(04-25-2012, 09:30 PM)Kieron Wrote: P.S. Where did you get that if something is invented in Country X it is Country X's invention?

If I was born in Germany and moved to France to build cars, they aren't German cars, they are French cars.