Has my computer got a virus?
(02-03-2012, 12:38 AM)Qwertygiy Wrote:
(02-03-2012, 12:23 AM)Paradox Wrote: Did ever bother to click the "Show processes from all users" button (Ignore the "System Idle Process")?

I don't think any other users were logged in; however, if it happens again, I'll make sure to check.

Even if you're the only one logged in, some processes are still running as System/Local Service.
Task Manager>Processes>Close everything you don't use.

Then CCleaner.
Then Defrag computer with Defraggler.
Then finally scan with AntiMalwareBytes.

DONE.
[Image: yesssssss_zpsc49d4672.png]
You know, sometimes the Task Manager itself consumes like >50% of the CPU when it's open.
(02-03-2012, 03:47 AM)simonheros Wrote: Task Manager>Processes>Close everything you don't use.

There's about 50 processes that are essential to Windows that have names that aren't very easy to tell apart from the things that are not.

Your other suggestions aren't too bad; I haven't defragged in a while, but fragmented hard drives have NEVER given me this kind of trouble when I've had them in the 10 years I've dealt with computers.

(02-03-2012, 06:26 AM)noob007 Wrote: You know, sometimes the Task Manager itself consumes like >50% of the CPU when it's open.

It lists itself in the process list, so I'd be able to see that; but I've never seen that happen. It might just be a Vista/7 thing. And the computer is lagging even when I haven't opened that yet -- and gets a bit hot too.
It's happened again; here's what's using a lot in the processes list when "show all processes" is on:

explorer.exe (Another user profile) ~40
csrss.exe SYSTEM ~15

So it seems my sisters' profile being logged in but inactive has something to do with this.
If your with Windows 7 then you should try windows xp/ubuntu linux or mac os x
Windows 7 is the worst OS to be made.
(02-03-2012, 06:33 PM)dominate Wrote: If your with Windows 7 then you should try windows xp/ubuntu linux or mac os x

I have to disagree with you there.

Windows 7 > Windows XP (which I have) > Windows Vista > Windows 98.

I've never tried anything else Tongue
If you want to find out just what a process is doing, try using Process Monitor: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin...s/bb896645

It monitors hard drive and registry usage, and tells you what's doing it. I found a buggy driver that was writing to a file once per second that way.
(02-03-2012, 06:33 PM)dominate Wrote: If your with Windows 7 then you should try windows xp/ubuntu linux or mac os x

You sir are totally wrong. Windows 7 is the best consumer OS on the market.
OSX is crap and Linux isn't all that good if you use exe.'s all the time.
[Image: 76561198037039305.png]
[Image: nmdd7o.gif]