I had an amazing idea today.
It's already possible to make 3D models out of a set of photographs. And it's already possible to determine the location where a picture was taken from if you have the 3D model.

Some cool things could be done by combining these two technologies. Imagine taking a bunch of webcam pictures of a room and making a 3D model. Now, take a still picture and apply the 3D model to it. But don't display the model: instead, use it for physics simulation and object clipping. Now you can add whatever you want to the picture and have it simulated realistically.

But the real power of this lies in virtual reality. Replace the computer screen with VR goggles and attach a camera to your head, then use this with the 3D scene, but compute the camera position in real time. Now what you have is basically Garrys Mod in real life. Simple motion tracking could make it even cooler: imagine painting ribbons of light with a laser pointer, or putting a brightly colored dot on your finger and sticking it up to spawn a sphere at your location.

Or you could just use a traditional artificial virtual reality environment, but with the camera location system, you could do it without needing a special room and expensive motion tracking equipment.

I've already started coding this. Tongue
Lol, how do you plan on implementing this?
If it was a new member who posted that, I'd think you were a bot.
[Image: paperboy.PNG]
True beauty.
(10-25-2011, 08:30 AM)Hippo_Yay Wrote: If it was a new member who posted that, I'd think you were a bot.

Hehehe, yeah.

You know, I've thought about something like this before... imagine what kinds of things you could do if you set up cameras along places, sort of Google Maps-ish...
If that came out I would buy it for sure.
And imagine if you worked some simple robotics into it too -- nothing more complicated than current LEGO bots or anything, just a little rover thing with grabbers.
(10-25-2011, 03:35 AM)Jacob_ Wrote: But don't display the model: instead, use it for physics simulation and object clipping. Now you can add whatever you want to the picture and have it simulated realistically.

Isn't that just compositing, but with physics?
Hey, Jacob, remember that game engine you posted a while ago? It uses Google maps to draw the terrain. Tongue
[Image: 76561198037039305.png]
[Image: nmdd7o.gif]
So like a 3d type world? Or just bricks?
(10-28-2011, 02:57 AM)Rare Wrote: So like a 3d type world? Or just bricks?

If you're replying to Interwebs' post, then Outerra is about as realistic a non-classified simulator as you can get -- it's just not done yet.