I just finished watching the delayed NASCAR race.
Whoever designed the wall betweens turns 1 and 2 at Watkins Glen wasn't thinking right.

Basically, after a caution came out for #27 Paul Menard blowing a tire and smashing up his car (briefly setting it on fire), the entire field regrouped for a final 3-lap-run at the road course.

Kyle Busch in the #18, the ubiquitous NASCAR dominator; Marcos Ambrose in the #9, the road-course expert; and Brad Keselowski in the #2, winner of the last race, lined up for the restart. Kyle overshot the first turn and fell back to third. Brad took advantage and got the lead. Coming through the back corners of the track, Marcos managed to get the lead and stayed there.

As they came through for the final lap, Marcos held off Brad, and Kyle was slipping sideways trying to keep up. Coming out of the first corner far back in the field, the #6 of David Ragan got turned left by #51 Boris Said. He careened off the inward-slanted left wall, collecting #00 David Reutimann. Both of them promptly smashed into the also-slanted right side wall, sending both cars airborne into the NEXT portion of the left side wall -- also slanted inward. Reutimann tumbled over several times before the car stopped, and Ragan took out several cars, including #5 Mark Martin. No caution, since everyone got by.

On the backstretch of Watkins Glen, there is a chicane that drivers have to go around. #14 Tony Stewart got shoved into the grass inside the chicane, and when he came out tangled with #33 Clint Bowyer, #31 Jeff Burton, and #48 Jimmie Johnson.

The caution finally came out and Marcos Ambrose won, his first win (finally).

I still can't believe how hard the #00 and #6 hit the wall though -- that part of the track should've been built better.
This sounds horrible D:

Tires blowing up on a race-track...

D:
[Image: yesssssss_zpsc49d4672.png]
(08-15-2011, 11:18 PM)simonheros Wrote: This sounds horrible D:

Tires blowing up on a race-track...

D:

Happens all the time -- basically, they get a flat. At 180 miles an hour. Normally though, they don't have as much damage as this time around...

And it appears most NASCAR drivers agree with me on the wall design issue.