Jacob_ Is wondering why we all like foruming.
(06-30-2011, 04:37 PM)Chaos Wrote: Jacob_, you need to start advertising elsewhere like onemorelevel.com or any other gaming site.

I should point out that if 5 Buildists each tell 2 friends about the game, that's the same as me putting up a banner that is shown to 100 people and 10 of them clicking it (which is an abnormally high click through rate.) Those other online games are so successful because they literally spend millions of dollars a year advertising on YouTube and Facebook (two very expensive publishers.) Games are a notoriously difficult type of site to advertise on the internet.

Remember, you guys are just as important to Buildism's sucess as I am. If you want it to get popular, then do something about it--Minecraft hasn't spent any money at all on advertising, it just got a boost at the beginning because of Notch's status as a game developer and went from there. Make a game, or a YouTube video, or talk to your friends that are interested in this kind of game. If you just want to post on the forums, that's OK, but you're totally missing the point. I've gotten to the point where there aren't a whole lot of features left to add, so you can't use "it's not finished yet" as an excuse anymore. Support me and I'll support you.
(07-01-2011, 02:53 AM)Jacob_ Wrote:
(06-30-2011, 04:37 PM)Chaos Wrote: Jacob_, you need to start advertising elsewhere like onemorelevel.com or any other gaming site.

I should point out that if 5 Buildists each tell 2 friends about the game, that's the same as me putting up a banner that is shown to 100 people and 10 of them clicking it (which is an abnormally high click through rate.) Those other online games are so successful because they literally spend millions of dollars a year advertising on YouTube and Facebook (two very expensive publishers.) Games are a notoriously difficult type of site to advertise on the internet.

Remember, you guys are just as important to Buildism's sucess as I am. If you want it to get popular, then do something about it--Minecraft hasn't spent any money at all on advertising, it just got a boost at the beginning because of Notch's status as a game developer and went from there. Make a game, or a YouTube video, or talk to your friends that are interested in this kind of game. If you just want to post on the forums, that's OK, but you're totally missing the point. I've gotten to the point where there aren't a whole lot of features left to add, so you can't use "it's not finished yet" as an excuse anymore. Support me and I'll support you.

Jacob, I think a good idea for getting users to join would be for a referral system, let's say we could have some sort of contest for the most referrals. If a user is caught using a proxy then they are disqualified. (I know that mybb has a referral system already made). The winner could get some sort of rank or what ever you choose (or you could wait until currency and then make the winner get some currency). Doing it this way would give users a bigger reason to invite friends and other people to join buildism.
Maybe I'm the kind of person you said.
(06-30-2011, 07:39 PM)Jacob_ Wrote: Yeah, Bluehost is pretty bad. I've heard they put thousands of websites on the same server, which would explain the occasional lag/downtime...

This will probably be our next host: http://www.linode.com/

I can attest to Bluehost being awful and Linode being great. From Bluehost I've had nothing but condescending support, laughable uptime and random outages (upgrading the Linux kernel does not take 2 hours).

BlandFlakes mentioned a referral system. We've had little success with referrals here on BCy, but that was because we didn't advertise enough at the right time (yeah, we've had all the Roblox raiding stuff too). Commercial advertising - AdWords, etc. - will only bring you an audience you don't want or aren't sure about.

I really do recommend the word of mouth approach to all you Buildists. Buildism's a good game but it needs a good following too!
(07-01-2011, 02:53 AM)Jacob_ Wrote:

ill tell everyone ik

I Must Kill muhahahahahaha :3:gun_bandana::crazy:

[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQP7b8M2g4o]
(07-01-2011, 10:15 AM)Tarabukka Wrote:
(06-30-2011, 07:39 PM)Jacob_ Wrote: Yeah, Bluehost is pretty bad. I've heard they put thousands of websites on the same server, which would explain the occasional lag/downtime...

I can attest to Bluehost being awful and Linode being great. From Bluehost I've had nothing but condescending support, laughable uptime and random outages (upgrading the Linux kernel does not take 2 hours).

BlandFlakes mentioned a referral system. We've had little success with referrals here on BCy, but that was because we didn't advertise enough at the right time (yeah, we've had all the Roblox raiding stuff too). Commercial advertising - AdWords, etc. - will only bring you an audience you don't want or aren't sure about.

I really do recommend the word of mouth approach to all you Buildists. Buildism's a good game but it needs a good following too!

I actually heard mostly good reviews about Bluehost before we switched a few months ago, then I found out about how terrible they were. Sad

Also, this site was recommended to me on TIGSource a while ago: http://www.projectwonderful.com/

Unlike Google AdWords and similar services, you actually get to choose the sites your ad ends up on, rather than the system picking them out automatically.
(07-01-2011, 02:22 PM)Jacob_ Wrote:
(07-01-2011, 10:15 AM)Tarabukka Wrote:

I actually heard mostly good reviews about Bluehost before we switched a few months ago, then I found out about how terrible they were. Sad

Also, this site was recommended to me on TIGSource a while ago: http://www.projectwonderful.com/

Unlike Google AdWords and similar services, you actually get to choose the sites your ad ends up on, rather than the system picking them out automatically.

Except now they won't accept your request which makes all of us say the good ol' internet phrase: FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU