Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future of Buildism
Hello,

We are all sad to know that Jacob_ can't work on Buildism anymore, and that the site will be closed sooner or later. This, however, is almost unavoidable; we should stop trying to change his mind because we all know he took the right decision after all. Since he's going to college, he won't have time for Buildism, so instead of abandoning it and the closed-source game, he decided to open-source it so that someone else may be able to continue it later.

For Jacob_, I have the following idea:

I would like, with your permission of course, to create a public repository of the game code and allow for users to submit patches, as well as pick a team to maintain it. I would also advise to put a license, so that people don't steal the code. This is a way for people to contribute to the game and make it better and better.

Please tell me what you think about it.
Instead of doing this, can we contribute to the site and make a "manager" of the site to deal with paying fees from the donation money (someone responsible, Ryne, myself, along those lines) and keep the site up?
[Image: poptartFINALTINY.gif]
[Image: log.png?t=1302647037]
(08-25-2011, 06:16 PM)noob007 Wrote: Hello,

We are all sad to know that Jacob_ can't work on Buildism anymore, and that the site will be closed sooner or later. This, however, is almost unavoidable; we should stop trying to change his mind because we all know he took the right decision after all. Since he's going to college, he won't have time for Buildism, so instead of abandoning it and the closed-source game, he decided to open-source it so that someone else may be able to continue it later.

I would like, with your permission of course, to create a public repository of the game code and allow for users to submit patches, as well as pick a team to maintain it. I would also advise to put a license, so that people don't steal the code. This is a way for people to contribute to the game and make it better and better.

Making a repository is a good idea. If someone manages to get the code to compile, and adds something good, I can put it up on the site.

I didn't put the code under a license because I'm hoping an external development team (some programmers that aren't Buildism users, but are interested in the idea and want to make it better) will find it and make another game along the same lines. If there aren't any restrictions on the code, there are more people out there that would be willing to use it. That way, if this site ever closes, all of you can just migrate to one of the "clones" instead of trying to figure out who can host it and pay for it and update it at the last minute.

Also, there's nothing stopping someone from just ignoring the license entirely, unless I get an expensive lawyer and sue them, and it's not worth that much to me.
(08-25-2011, 08:49 PM)Jacob_ Wrote:
(08-25-2011, 06:16 PM)noob007 Wrote: Hello,

Making a repository is a good idea. If someone manages to get the code to compile, and adds something good, I can put it up on the site.

I didn't put the code under a license because I'm hoping an external development team (some programmers that aren't Buildism users, but are interested in the idea and want to make it better) will find it and make another game along the same lines. If there aren't any restrictions on the code, there are more people out there that would be willing to use it. That way, if this site ever closes, all of you can just migrate to one of the "clones" instead of trying to figure out who can host it and pay for it and update it at the last minute.

Also, there's nothing stopping someone from just ignoring the license entirely, unless I get an expensive lawyer and sue them, and it's not worth that much to me.

That's fine with me. Do you mind if I fire up a Mercurial repository on Google Code?
Well so long guys... :/
[Image: yesssssss_zpsc49d4672.png]
I just now got on... WHAT THE FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU