Poll:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

So what's the plan of colonization here?
Seeing as how we now have a fresh new site to build in, how are we going to go about doing that?

Do we want to spend a few more days or weeks building games, scripts, tutorials, and models before spreading the word, or just go ahead and bring people in?

And how should we go about doing that? Doing it in places that the old site was familiar with, and had the names of some of our accounts on, isn't a terribly good idea because the risk that the old drama-makers will find it before a ton of new, fresh minds do.

That 3D partially-sandbox editor, KoGaMa, seems to have had a very nice, almost spotless community up until said drama-makers found it, with dozens of active members who are constantly making games and models. The way they spread the word appears to have been advertising on Facebook. I don't know how expensive or practical that is for 2D Worlds, since KoGaMa has a whole paid and sponsored dev team behind it, but it's worth noting.
[Image: iwn8gk.gif]
(10-06-2012, 11:43 PM)Ghosty Wrote: Seeing as how we now have a fresh new site to build in, how are we going to go about doing that?

Do we want to spend a few more days or weeks building games, scripts, tutorials, and models before spreading the word, or just go ahead and bring people in?

And how should we go about doing that? Doing it in places that the old site was familiar with, and had the names of some of our accounts on, isn't a terribly good idea because the risk that the old drama-makers will find it before a ton of new, fresh minds do.

That 3D partially-sandbox editor, KoGaMa, seems to have had a very nice, almost spotless community up until said drama-makers found it, with dozens of active members who are constantly making games and models. The way they spread the word appears to have been advertising on Facebook. I don't know how expensive or practical that is for 2D Worlds, since KoGaMa has a whole paid and sponsored dev team behind it, but it's worth noting.

I'm definitely going to do some paid advertising, which I never did for the other site. Facebook looks like the best way, since it's more targeted than Google and a little less expensive.

Another possibility, I recently noticed you can advertise on the Chris Pirillo Show for only $50 a week, which is a pretty good deal for the amount of exposure. A few years ago a player on one of my other games spammed in the chat there (not a good idea, but he didn't have the ad program then) and we went from 2-5 players on at a time to about 20.

There's also Project Wonderful, which is cheap, but most of their publishers are weird webcomics.
Yeah, pretty nice to see this site done, but all effort put into it will go to trash if we can't get it even barely active. We definitely need to get some documentation (wiki, tuts) and actual games done before bothering to advertise - we need interesting stuff to offer.

I'll reupload one of my old games and maybe see if I can make a quick one (on another computer, this notebook is terribly slow). I may write a practical guide to our Lua API too, when I find time for it.
I'm glad to see you determined to get Buildism popular again, Jacob_!
That's the spirit! NEVER GIVE UP!

Buildism > KoGaMa
I shared the link on my facebook page. My 69 friends will see it and most likely ignore it though. Lol
[Image: AmZJnA9.png]
Facebook infringes on your privacy.
Everything you do is stored on there.
Any site is like that though, but nothing like the scum at Facebook.
(11-09-2012, 12:58 AM)Walrus Wrote: Everything you do is stored on there.

Well, Google does it but 1000 times more
(11-09-2012, 01:00 AM)Void Wrote: Well, Google does it but 1000 times more

Agreed 100%. In fact, I think most of Facebook's data comes from Google.
[Image: iwn8gk.gif]
Google sells your search history xD.
[Image: AmZJnA9.png]