Well, my computer is infected. Great.
An hour or so ago, my computer suddenly locked up while browsing the Internet and whitescreened. The screen was then replaced by something looking a lot like this:

[Image: FBI-Virus.png]

I recognized this as a virus immediately -- Alblaka, the creator of the Minecraft mod Industrial Craft 2, reported a similar one in his blog a few months ago.

I tried to reboot my computer in safe mode, but Windows crashes almost immediately while going through the list of drivers, saying there's an issue and the computer is either infected or corrupt (yes, I know that, Bill Gates).

I rebooted it normally, and right away the little Microsoft Security Essentials button in the bottom left popped up with "Your computer is at risk!" so I clicked it. A few seconds later the virus reinitiated. I tried Ctrl+Alt+Delete and also the Windows icon to try to bring up the start menu, but neither worked. Fortunately, the MSE window then appeared, and the virus page vanished, so I'm currently running a full system scan on it. I pulled up Firefox through a link to "Learn more about this online" on an old quarantined suspected program from like a year ago. The bad thing is, just about everything the Web has to say about how to get rid of this thing involves going into program files or doing a system restore, and the virus appears to have killed explorer.exe. Start menu is gone, desktop is gone.

Any ideas how to:

1) Open command prompt via hotkeys

2) Open system restore via hotkeys

3) Open a Windows folder via hotkeys, i.e. My Documents, My Computer, Control Panel, etc.

Like I said, it's able to and is currently running a full-computer scan, but this could take a few hours.

EDIT: It's found two things, double-checked with the online encyclopedia of malware, and it matches what's going on. Hopefully that means that once I reboot Windows it'll be gone.

Messages In This Thread
Well, my computer is infected. Great. - by Qwertygiy - 09-26-2012, 02:14 PM