Poll:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
My novel, the Adventures of Mysty
So, just about all of you already know about my current project, but for those of you who did not experience the apocalyptic world of the Forums of Buildism, here's a quick summary.

!i! WARNING !i!
MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT
Do not attempt to read if intoxicated, drowsy, bored, listening to intense music, eating cheese, pregnant, or mentally challenged
Key Bored Industries claims no liability for strained eyes, headsplosions, heart failure, reticulated splines, emancipated ear tubes, or any other injuries incurred by the viewing of this post

This story has a lot of background to cover, so let me start at the beginning.

IN THE BEGINNING, THERE WAS DARKNESS. THEN GREAT OLD DUDE SAID, "HEY, SOMEONE TURN ON THE LIGHT!" AND THERE WAS LIGHT.

Uh, wait a second, wrong story. Let me try that again.

Ahem.

About a year and a half ago, I moved from the town I had lived all my life to a different state, leaving behind the few friends I have and essentially losing what little life I had built up for myself. I was a bit sad at first, of course, but eventually I got over it, mostly by completely immersing myself in the Internet.

Then, in December 2011, one of my two best friends unexpectedly got back in touch with me via email, and my life jolted back on track a little.

We took to using Google Chat rather often, discussing lots of things, but mostly how our lives had taken a dip for the worse after I had moved. However, my Internet has always been patchy, as has my computer (which is not-so-affectionately nicknamed the Craptop) and I usually had Minecraft or some other such program open in the background, and often we would be in the middle of a conversation when I would vanish for whatever reason. We had been trying to figure out what mythical creatures we resembled in any way, and this unpredictable invisibility of mine earned me the moniker "Ghosty". Of course, then we had to come up with something for her.

It was hopeless.

Eventually we settled on the name "Mysty", short for "Mystery" because there was nothing she seemed to match. (Except maybe a vampire, but we both share an undying [pun possibly intended] hatred for those overused menaces and so refused to even think about considering it.)

One day, Google decided to be Google and told each of us the other was offline when in reality we weren't. Now, who could possibly go around messing with ghosts? [WHO YA GONNA CALL? *dramatic music*] This incident led directly into a Spontaneously Initiated Role Play which lasted an amazing three days and somewhere around five hundred lines of dialogue. (Sadly, the large middle portion has since been lost to the unpredictable whims of Google's data storage.)

Unfortunately, a few weeks after this I was forced to lose contact with her. This launched me into 4 painful, depressing months of utter despair and sadness, which was mostly resolved when we finally got back in touch, although not as regularly because she is now very busy with school.

During this dark period, I started work on a project which I never seriously thought would go anywhere, and was mainly to give me something to do while I was thinking of her and too depressed or bored with everything else. This project soon grew rather large, and eventually I posted it on Buildism, the site that became 2DWorlds, mostly to have something to talk about that didn't involve yelling at this one British kid who was incredibly annoying and constantly lying and contradicting himself. (I also got addicted to Portal 2 at this time. I almost feel sorry for the guy because of the incredible amount of witty GLaDOS vs. Wheatley lines he had to endure from me and several others. Almost. But one does not feel sorry for Franco30557.) Eventually it got so large I moved it to its own web page, and then it got too large even for that.

This project was a novel based on that 3-day role play, and although to this day it does not have an actual title or cover (as of late November 2012, I have given it a true title: The Adventures of Mysty: The Mountain of the Wolves), it has been my major project for several months now. I kept most of the main plot elements, although I rearranged them a bit (ghost hunters, a strange device that zaps the two main characters out of their known territory, a peaceful meadow, a giant evil foggish being, a forest with a strange smell, a ravine that Ghosty has to pull Mysty out of, a Parasaurolophus) and added a few more (Mysty's amnesia being the largest such addition, and recently a new character suggested by the real Mysty). At the time of this writing it has reached over 150 pages on Google Docs, and I have had to split it into multiple documents.

Anyway, that's the backstory to the story.

The story itself can be read here for Book 1, Document 1 and here for the new Book 1 Document 2.
[Image: iwn8gk.gif]

Messages In This Thread
My novel, the Adventures of Mysty - by Ghosty - 11-11-2012, 07:21 PM