Poll:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[WIP] Choose Your Wacky Adventure
Are you familiar with the popular book series "Choose Your Own Adventure"? If not, the concept is simple: the simple plot is introduced in around 3 to 5 pages, then the reader is presented with a choice to make. If one choice is chosen, then the reader turns to, say, Page 57 to continue. If the other is chosen, say, Page 35. In either case, the plot continues along for another page or two before another choice must be made. This continues numerous times, leading to many different stories with many endings.

There is another popular format of reader-generated fiction: MadLibs. National Geographic Kids magazine calls them Funny Fill-Ins, while the ones I played with as a kid (when I was lucky enough to have Internet access) were Wacky Web Tales. The reader fills in labeled blanks to get a unique and often crazy final story.

The game has been published! http://2dworlds.org/games/-ALPHA--Choose...venture/30

Changelog Wrote:11/11/2012:
Feature: You can now select individual stories by chatting "/title" where title is the name of the story. The preliminary storyboard (and the only one in the game at the moment) has been given the title "The Search" and would be selected by chatting "/the search".
Content: The Search has been named and expanded from 3 choices to 6 and includes one finalized ending. However, it still needs much expansion.

11/10/2012: The game was created, with a single preliminary storyboard. Chatting "/start" begins the story, while "/reset" can be chatted at any time to go back to the main menu and start again. It features a reasonably 'smart' grammar system: inputted words that require capitalization will be capitalized, and if a word falls on a line break, hyphens will be inserted.

I need more storylines to add to the game! They should have at least 5 endings, but the more the better. You can choose which words to be blanked out, or write the whole story out and let me pick for you. Here's an example of a good opening part.

Quote:You are out [ -ing verb ] in the [ adjective ] [ noun ] National Park. You are a [ profession ] looking for the rare [ adjective #2 ] [ animal ], which can only be found in the park. It is known to often live in two habitats: the [ celebrity surname ] Swamp and the Mountains of [ noun #2 ]. Where do you want to search?

SWAMP: You put on your [ adjective #3 ] [ article of clothing ] and head for the [ celebrity surname ] Swamp. You know that the path is treacherous and [ adjective #4 ], and that the dangerous [ animal #2 ] of [ foreign city ] also lives in the swamp. (to be continued!)

MOUNTAINS: You grab your trusty [ adjective #3 ] pickaxe and your [ adjective #4 ] rope, and hike through the forest towards the Mountains of [ noun #2 ]. You will have to cross the [ animal #2 ]-infested [ foreign city ] River before you get there, however. (to be continued!)

The game would prompt you with a series of blank labels, and you would chat your response to them. It would then proceed with the story, filling the []s with your responses. Here's an example list:

1) -ing verb: sneezing
2) Adjective: green
3) Noun: potato
4) Profession: hacker
5) Adjective: stinky
6) Animal: chihuahua
7) Celebrity Surname: Bieber
8) Noun: steamboat
9) Adjective: gigantic
10) Article of clothing: earplugs
11) Adjective: grumpy
12) Animal: aardvark
13) Foreign city: Balogna
[Image: iwn8gk.gif]
I always used to do Mad Libs in the 1st grade, because my teacher forced the class too, or else she'd turn up her chinese music REAL LOUD.

Anyways, what the hell am I suppose to fill in?
Nothing yet. All the filling-in will be done in the game. What I'm asking for at the moment are storylines, like the section in quotes, so that I'm not writing two dozen of these on my own.
Storyline #1:
THE SUN SETS, AND IT ALL BEGINS....

Storyline #2:

IT'S UP TO YOU... TO DEFEAT.. THE.... INTRUDER..

These aren't really storylines.. but oh well..
Choose Your Wacky Adventure Alpha has been uploaded!

Feature-wise, it's nearly done -- all that's left to add functionally is background music for each page, and maybe rewrite it to use UIs instead of labels. But content-wise, there's a lot more stories that need to be added.

[Image: awccpk.png]

[Image: 6dvi3a.png]

[Image: 2w2exbs.png]
11/11/2012:
Feature: You can now select individual stories by chatting "/title" where title is the name of the story. The preliminary storyboard (and the only one in the game at the moment) has been given the title "The Search" and would be selected by chatting "/the search".
Content: The Search has been named and expanded from 3 choices to 6 and includes one finalized ending. However, it still needs much expansion.
That actually does look pretty cool.
It now has a thumbnail logo!

[Image: 2vkb775.png]
Wow, it looks really nice!
You wouldn't even think that the game was made on 2DWorlds!
xD
Added a positive ending to The Search!

[Image: 1zmcaow.png]

Also, it should be more multiplayer compatible now. Big Grin