Poll:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What should my first coding language be?
I don't want it to be TOO challenging.
I want to know Jacob_'s opinion, too.

ON-TOPIC-
Come to the chatroom
www.tinychat.com/buildism
(04-22-2011, 09:32 PM)Paradox Wrote: I don't want it to be TOO challenging.

ON-TOPIC-
Come to the chatroom

well C++ would be fun.

LUA(Buildism) wont help you get no where in life so don't waste your time

PHP way to easy

Java and C++ would be the best
[Image: cxAECR.png]
[Image: r8umfc.gif]
(04-22-2011, 10:08 PM)McNoobster Wrote:

ON-TOPIC-
Come to the chatroom

well C++ would be fun.

PHP way to easy

Lua (Buildism) would enable me to make good scripted games...
Start off with HTML.
(04-22-2011, 10:13 PM)Paradox Wrote:
(04-22-2011, 10:08 PM)McNoobster Wrote:

ON-TOPIC-
Come to the chatroom

well C++ would be fun.

PHP way to easy

Lua (Buildism) would enable me to make good scripted games...

Well have fun living in your cardboard box make Buildism games when your in your 30's
[Image: cxAECR.png]
[Image: r8umfc.gif]
I say, learn Lua.

1: Lua is used in just about every current building game -- it's flexible and easily updated.

2: Lua's syntax is similar to several other scripting languages -- including Java, I'm pretty sure.

3: It's super-manipulatible and not that hard to use -- if you can't get something done in Lua, you either don't know enough, the game isn't good enough, or the programmer of the game made an error somewhere.
Just to let you guys know, I just started learning python. It is pretty easy do far, but then again, I am writing very simple scripts.

Example-
[lua]a = "My favorite number is:"
b = 18
print a, b[/lua]

The outcome would be
"My favorite number is: 18"
Either Lua or Java would be a good idea. Lua in Buildism or in another game is great for first-time programmers, because you get to see the results of your code immediately, without having to compile anything.

Once you know your way around variables, functions, and control structures (if, while, for) then you might want to try Java. It introduces you to object-oriented programming, which is used in most real-world applications.

Once you get good at Java then learning C# should be no problem at all (the syntax is virtually identical), or you could go straight to C++, which is generally considered to be the industry standard for games.

I made the mistake of starting with PHP, which was a horrible idea--it's usually considered a poorly-designed language.

As an alternative to starting with Lua, you could also try Processing. It uses Java syntax, but you don't have to worry about object-oriented stuff or complicated graphics libraries.
(04-22-2011, 10:59 PM)Jacob_ Wrote: Either Lua or Java would be a good idea. Lua in Buildism or in another game is great for first-time programmers, because you get to see the results of your code immediately, without having to compile anything.

Once you know your way around variables, functions, and control structures (if, while, for) then you might want to try Java. It introduces you to object-oriented programming, which is used in most real-world applications.

Once you get good at Java then learning C# should be no problem at all (the syntax is virtually identical), or you could go straight to C++, which is generally considered to be the industry standard for games.

I made the mistake of starting with PHP, which was a horrible idea--it's usually considered a poorly-designed language.

As an alternative to starting with Lua, you could also try Processing. It uses Java syntax, but you don't have to worry about object-oriented stuff or complicated graphics libraries.

I already started with Python...^_^

@Jacob_,

C++ is probably as easy as Java, not to say easier.

It's less OOP and sometimes easier to understand.

Also, once you know C++, you can easily learn any other C-like language.
That's not true for Java.

BTW, you spelled C++ wrong in your poll.