Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some News (good and bad)
(08-25-2011, 11:45 AM)Brassrhino Wrote: Well, this is it. Buildism, as an Idea, is never going to be the same again. Jacob, when I originally found this Site, I was in pure awe. The Community of this Indie Game was amazingly nice and helpful, I strongly remember being helped alot by Micky and Gus. I really hope that, out of the current Buildism community, that somebody has the heart to continue Jacob's Idea, and let my Favorite Game, live on.

Goodbye.
I will continue it.... but I barely know java but I shall continue it...

Just hire another developer. Problem solved! Tongue
I know Java, but also have school matters to attend to..
I am you. Problem?
Let Ryne, Chaos, and Glome keep things updated while you're busy. Ryne is a Java master and he'll be able to keep the game running, and Glome and Chaos are pretty good at handling site matters.

I've spent the past 6 months of my life busy with helping to keep Buildism fun and playable. I really really really REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want to see it go down.

Please Jacob_... Let some other guys keep it maintenanced for a while. As you said, the game is pretty much complete -- we just need to get more games. I have a few on my computer that are half finished...

Please don't just throw away my life from the past 6 months.
Also, I don't have any regular school, and I know some PHP and HTML, so I'd be glad to help keep it maintenenced -- and if not, I'll be just as active moderating. But I hope you understand that for me at least, Buildism has been an integral part of my life in the past 6 months. The only days when I haven't been active here are when I either had no Internet access or have been sick. If Buildism shuts down, I'm going to hate myself for losing that much time that could've been spent elsewhere. Even if it was only spent on Roblox. Don't just toss it all away when we've come this far. You still have a nice community, (despite that one disagreement that went too far) you still have an awsome game, and you have a bunch of people who would hate to see this end here, on this note.

Just hand over the reins to Ryne, Glome, and Chaos for a while. Don't just give up on us. Please.
(08-25-2011, 04:07 AM)Jacob_ Wrote: http://buildism.net/source.zip (download)

That link gives a 404 error, just so you know...
(08-25-2011, 03:06 PM)noob007 Wrote:

It's fixed now.

I'll keep the site up as long as I can, but there probably won't be any updates unless someone else writes them using the open source code and sends it to me.

If there is any more major drama on the forums, I'll IP ban the people responsible. That stuff annoys me even more than trying to fix the same bug for 3 hours.
This has shocked me- This game has given me a new way to release my creativity, and soon it will be gone and I will be back to roaming the internet for something else to do.

I think the reason you are closing the site, though, is a fair one, after all, you ARE going to college.

I will really miss this game, but I guess things come and go.

Thank you for creating this site and giving me the opportunity to meet new friends and try new things (Moderating, Skin creating, Game making etc.).
Shiggity Shiggity Shwa
[Image: Animated.gif?t=1314294800]
(08-25-2011, 03:11 AM)Jacob_ Wrote: As you probably have heard, I started college last week. The college I'm going to has a reputation for being extremely hard, so I'm not going to have as much time to work on Buildism. Because of this, I'm going to have to close the site in the near future. (If this sentence shocked you, go read the good news below before replying!)

Reasons why I am doing this:
  • In addition to lack of time, the game is also a lot more complicated than it was 10 months ago. It hasn't reached critical mass yet, but adding a major new feature always introduces a bug or two, and sometimes they don't show up until later.
  • I don't hate anyone here, but the community did end up being a lot more high-maintenance than I had planned. After studying biology for 3 hours I don't want to have to break up a fight on a forum.
  • The game is actually fairly close to being finished (except for multiplayer), but user-created games are still not what I was hoping for, and although quality was improving during the spring and early summer it seems to have flatlined in the last month or two.

Now for the good news...

I don't think it would be fair to leave everyone with a bunch of game files that they worked hard on and can't open anymore, so I'm going to make the code to the game and website open source. This means that anyone that knows how to program can make their own version of Buildism, then add or change whatever they want to.

I'll post the code as soon as I get it ready! Hopefully it will find its way to someone who's willing to continue the site.

I'm currently working on another game that isn't anything at all like Buildism (not even in the same language). I have been creating websites for 5 years now and it seriously feels weird if I don't have a website online, so I'll wait until there is a playable version of that game before closing Buildism for good.

You cant close it. it wouldn't be the same without you.
(08-25-2011, 03:23 PM)Jacob_ Wrote:
(08-25-2011, 03:06 PM)noob007 Wrote:

It's fixed now.

I'll keep the site up as long as I can, but there probably won't be any updates unless someone else writes them using the open source code and sends it to me.

If there is any more major drama on the forums, I'll IP ban the people responsible. That stuff annoys me even more than trying to fix the same bug for 3 hours.

Ok. Smile

And lol, I'm glad to see someone else's code that doesn't have useless comments. xD
No!!! D:
The site can't be closed! Noooo!
You have to try to keep it up and running for a long while!
*sigh*

Can't say I didn't see this coming. Sad