Just a reminder
I see a lot of people logging in, but not many people are actually doing anything... If it's because there's nothing going on, you're causing your own problem. A year ago, fewer people were signing up and logging in every day but there was more forum posting and game building.

If you want Buildism to be enjoyable then you can't just lurk on the forums, I'm working on lots of cool stuf but I can't do it all by myself.
I haven't been doing much because there hasn't been much real motivation to do so... A few times somebody like Ashely or real will start working on a project and I'll get involved with something but eventually it gets left aside because nobody's there to do much.

I know you've tried to help out with this with your contests and stuff, Jacob, but Brassrhino was the only real entry in the summer contest and I was the only real entry in the winter contest (and I didn't even complete that contraption). We need more people doing stuff. Two or three people aren't quite enough -- we need a larger group of people doing something.
The problem with the current situation is that having a lot of users that don't contribute anything actually turns off new members. Look at how many people are registering every day and how many of them aren't doing anything because it looks boring.

I'm thinking about bringing back my old plan of renaming the site and starting over, or at least resetting it. I was going to do a reset anyway once the new editor is released.
(03-14-2012, 05:38 PM)Jacob_ Wrote: The problem with the current situation is that having a lot of users that don't contribute anything actually turns off new members. Look at how many people are registering every day and how many of them aren't doing anything because it looks boring.

I'm thinking about bringing back my old plan of renaming the site and starting over, or at least resetting it. I was going to do a reset anyway once the new editor is released.

You... monster...
I think that wouldn't actually be such a terrible idea; however, if it comes to that, we should probably keep the old stuff around too, maybe as a subdomain (old.buildism.net?) or maybe even just as a bunch of files stored somewhere. I'd hate to see most of the past year of my life just get totally reset.

And if this happens, there should probably be some sort of reward for making games and contributing. I know it's been suggesting a hundred times over, but there would be almost no better opportunity for implementing a currency system. It needn't drive the whole system like in Roblox, but it would provide three purposes: Motivation for making games, income for the site, and reason to make more official content.

Personally, I think the skin system should stay the way it is: no "costs", total customization. Maybe break it up into segments -- head, torso, pants -- but I can't see something like tGL's system ever being quite as good as Minecraft's and hence ours. A very small amount of currency could be required to post a skin; however, deleting a skin would reearn you that currency. This way it would be free enough to publish a skin for a friend, but if you want to be a very successful skin maker you'd probably want to get some visits for your game. There's a bunch of ways you could bypass it, so I'm not sure how good of an idea it is.

Models, textures, and tools -- those could be good complements to skins. I don't think requiring currency for models or textures would be very feasible, but having a sort of "toolbox" that players can take into other games could be very useful. In fact, if done right, it could become an integral part of gameplay. Say you have a portal gun, to take a random example. You'd be able to add its name to a list of disallowed tools if you thought it would harm your game, but with some basic scripting knowledge, you could make some really nice easter eggs into games that would require it, without making having the gun be too OP -- make some materials have a script that deletes the "bullet" upon impact so it doesn't spawn portals, for example.

But at the very basic, just a plain reset of Buildism might help get things pumping again.
(03-14-2012, 07:19 PM)Qwertygiy Wrote: I think that wouldn't actually be such a terrible idea; however, if it comes to that, we should probably keep the old stuff around too, maybe as a subdomain (old.buildism.net?) or maybe even just as a bunch of files stored somewhere. I'd hate to see most of the past year of my life just get totally reset.

I'll leave all of the old stuff on a subdomain. The old editor will be there too, since the old games probably won't work with the new one.

(03-14-2012, 07:28 PM)Jacob_ Wrote:
(03-14-2012, 07:19 PM)Qwertygiy Wrote: I think that wouldn't actually be such a terrible idea; however, if it comes to that, we should probably keep the old stuff around too, maybe as a subdomain (old.buildism.net?) or maybe even just as a bunch of files stored somewhere. I'd hate to see most of the past year of my life just get totally reset.

I'll leave all of the old stuff on a subdomain. The old editor will be there too, since the old games probably won't work with the new one.

Okay, good.

I edited my post up quite a bit with other suggestions, just to let you know -- I started before you replied and about quadrupled the post length Tongue
I was actually going to start a new buildism game up once I've finished a little roblox project

Also I'll open source Labscape
When do you expect the new editor will be released?
(03-14-2012, 09:11 PM)noob007 Wrote: When do you expect the new editor will be released?

Probably in the next 2 months, maybe sooner.