I need help.
(04-30-2012, 12:51 AM)Qwertygiy Wrote:
(04-30-2012, 12:49 AM)Franco30557 Wrote: Why did you even have to move, anyway. If you was happy where you were, why did your parents make the decision to move?

1: Our county was getting washed-out, economically.

2: My dad's self-employed, and over the past 10 years several other companies doing the same business had popped up and made it harder to get jobs.

3: My grandfather died about 3 years ago, and then (the date I joined Buildism, actually) my dad's business partner and close friend died, and so we all moved to my grandmother's house.
So your living in your Grandmothers house?!
Have you got any money to move again?
(04-30-2012, 12:45 AM)Qwertygiy Wrote: ...my family isn't very rich or anything. I currently have a $150+ IOU to my dad, mostly for gas money. We have enough to eat and everything, we're not poor, but...

And to be honest, I really don't think I'd want to move back up there again. As I said in my first post, I know I'm not going to get back to that station and I accept that. I really don't miss my old home and neighborhood as much as I miss the very few friends I had up there.

If only she hadn't come back online in February. My life would still be a train wreck, but it wouldn't be as depressed of a train wreck. If only, I shoulda, what if, CRAP.

I need to snap out of this but I just don't know how.
(04-30-2012, 12:55 AM)Qwertygiy Wrote:
(04-30-2012, 12:45 AM)Qwertygiy Wrote: ...my family isn't very rich or anything. I currently have a $150+ IOU to my dad, mostly for gas money. We have enough to eat and everything, we're not poor, but...

And to be honest, I really don't think I'd want to move back up there again. As I said in my first post, I know I'm not going to get back to that station and I accept that. I really don't miss my old home and neighborhood as much as I miss the very few friends I had up there.
Your not going back to that station again...You gotta get back on your feet.
You march to your self-esteem and say "I don't need you, I've got my heart"
and "I demand respect because I'm a Human Being". Anyway, if you wanna get new friends, you need to see this through to the end. I mean, if you don't find out what happened, your going to spend your entire life wondering.

Stop being home schooled.
[Image: AmZJnA9.png]
(04-30-2012, 01:06 AM)Glome Wrote: Don't stop being home schooled.

Home schooled people are usually socially awkward.
[Image: AmZJnA9.png]
Qwerty, can you explain exactly why you are home-schooled?

[Image: 76561198037039305.png]
[Image: nmdd7o.gif]
Can't read all of the posts in this thread, since I just took a practice Calc 2 final exam and my brain is pretty much dead.

But I know exactly how you feel. The closest friendship I ever had was from 3rd to 5th grade. We ended up going to different middle schools, and after 6th grade I moved across the country. The first half of 7th grade was hell for a variety of reasons, but then I found a forum with a lot of people that were just like me (it was called the Game Creation Forum, I think I've linked to it before.) The community was pretty awesome, and it helped me to not feel socially isolated until I made some more friends.

It took me about 2 years to feel "at home" again, but I never really actively seeked out friendships - I just passively met people in class and at club meetings after school.

Have you thought about making a Facebook profile, just to communicate with your old friends? Don't worry about it being awkward, I added some people from my hometown 4 years after moving and they still remembered me well.

Edit: Just saw what you wrote about not being able to pay for college. My family's not rich either (lower middle class) but I could go to a good college just because of financial aid.

Just about everybody has to take out student loans from the government, and as long as you don't borrow too much (10% of your expected income after graduating is the rule, I think), paying them back shouldn't be a big deal. Depending on your family's income, you can get a subsidized loan, which has a lower interest rate.

Also, look for scholarships. My state has a program that pays all tuition for students with a good GPA that are going to an in-state public college, but even if you don't have that there are a lot of scholarships from other companies and individuals that you can apply for. I wish I'd started looking sooner, because there are probably as many for current high school students as there are for college students.
You should not let her go, and go after her....like a happily ever after in a good book....
[Image: k4fsl2.png]
@Interwebs:

For several reasons. One of them is that I'm allergic to peanuts, and although most public schools are starting to improve with going peanut-free, so many people just don't get how dangerous it is. Back when I was young enough to be in day-care, like 1 or 2 years old, they gave everyone trail mix with the peanuts taken out. The stupidity of that still amazes me.

Another is that when you go to public school, you have to learn everything -- there's no choosing which subjects you want to take, unlike college. It's probably not such a big deal now, but my parents really didn't want me dealing with World War II and Greek and Roman myths when I was 7.

And as I've mentioned, the few experiences I've had with the people of public schools have been terrible. I lived next to a small park about a block from a high-school, so on weekends a group of high-schoolers would often hang out around there. The swingsets were invariably wrapped over the top bars, there was always random trash lying around, and more often than not new profane Sharpie scribbles on some piece of plastic or metal. And oh my god, how many times must I have dealt with some random 12-year-old calling out, "Hey, you! Yeah, you! Orange boy! [I almost always wore an orange T-shirt] You gay?" My few friends who did got to school were always having issues with the teachers and I overheard their parents complaining to my mom about them, too (though knowing one of them, it was probably at least slightly his fault).

(04-30-2012, 02:11 AM)Jacob_ Wrote: The first half of 7th grade was hell for a variety of reasons, but then I found a forum with a lot of people that were just like me (it was called the Game Creation Forum, I think I've linked to it before.) The community was pretty awesome, and it helped me to not feel socially isolated until I made some more friends.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about Buildism.

(04-30-2012, 02:11 AM)Jacob_ Wrote: Have you thought about making a Facebook profile, just to communicate with your old friends? Don't worry about it being awkward, I added some people from my hometown 4 years after moving and they still remembered me well.

My parents don't want me using Facebook for a variety of reasons; and I happen to know that none of my friends have one either. The whole reason I'm feeling depressed now is that I can't communicate with either of my two best friends even though I have online addresses; one because he doesn't have internet and the other, as mentioned in the OP, because I'm not her religion and apparently that's a big deal for her mom.

(04-30-2012, 02:11 AM)Jacob_ Wrote: Just about everybody has to take out student loans from the government, and as long as you don't borrow too much (10% of your expected income after graduating is the rule, I think), paying them back shouldn't be a big deal. Depending on your family's income, you can get a subsidized loan, which has a lower interest rate.

Also, look for scholarships. My state has a program that pays all tuition for students with a good GPA that are going to an in-state public college, but even if you don't have that there are a lot of scholarships from other companies and individuals that you can apply for. I wish I'd started looking sooner, because there are probably as many for current high school students as there are for college students.

If When that kind of thing truly starts coming up, I'll remember this.