Meh, wanted to build on this game but the editor, oh my goodness...
The editor is absolutely worthless.

NPC's don't spawn properly, terrain is badly done (can't do stuff like making caves etc), the controls are pretty poor and its easy to get lost and lose where you've put all your work.

That and there is no multiplayer on this game and less than 200 active people on the site.

I'm not going to play this game.

Well I wouldn't call it worthless, but it isn't exactly great...
And I'm also annoyed at the fact that multiplayer isn't up anymore..
(07-10-2012, 09:19 AM)KalyrianTheSquidOverlord Wrote: The editor is absolutely worthless.

NPC's don't spawn properly, terrain is badly done (can't do stuff like making caves etc), the controls are pretty poor and its easy to get lost and lose where you've put all your work.

That and there is no multiplayer on this game and less than 200 active people on the site.

Well, instead of getting mad at us, you could try letting us help you...

1) NPCs are not supposed to respawn as far as I am aware. Just like on Roblox, you have to do that through Lua.

2) The terrain is pretty simple, yes; but I believe it would require an incredibly laggy work-around to be able to make caves in it because Box2D, the engine that Buildism uses, does not support concave (is that the word or is it convex? I forget) shapes, ones that curve in on themselves, like a crescent moon or a cave. So instead of one solid block for the terrain, you'd need a heck of a lot. Just use boxes and circles and set their ShowBorder to false.

3) How are the controls pretty poor? I've always handled it fine. It's a lot simpler than using Anim8tor or Techne, that's for sure.

4) There's a zoom out and zoom in key, - and +. Just remove your character, press - a couple dozen times, and move the camera back to where your stuff is.

5) There's no easy multiplayer because a) there aren't enough fun multiplayer games and b) it crashed the website for various reasons when we did have it. If you want multiplayer, you can host it like a Minecraft server by port-forwarding.

6) You got that right. In some ways, that low population's bad -- not a whole lot of good stuff, so there isn't a whole lot to do. In other ways that's good -- not a whole lot of good stuff, so everyone will know about anything good you make.

If you just find some things you don't like and rage-quit, then there's no way anyone can help you. But if you can state precisely what you don't like (which you did a better job of than some people) and wait for help, we should be able to help with some pieces of it.
(07-10-2012, 12:08 PM)Qwertygiy Wrote:
(07-10-2012, 09:19 AM)KalyrianTheSquidOverlord Wrote: The editor is absolutely worthless.

1) NPCs are not supposed to respawn as far as I am aware. Just like on Roblox, you have to do that through Lua.

2) The terrain is pretty simple, yes; but I believe it would require an incredibly laggy work-around to be able to make caves in it because Box2D, the engine that Buildism uses, does not support concave (is that the word or is it convex? I forget) shapes, ones that curve in on themselves, like a crescent moon or a cave. So instead of one solid block for the terrain, you'd need a heck of a lot. Just use boxes and circles and set their ShowBorder to false.

3) How are the controls pretty poor? I've always handled it fine. It's a lot simpler than using Anim8tor or Techne, that's for sure.

4) There's a zoom out and zoom in key, - and +. Just remove your character, press - a couple dozen times, and move the camera back to where your stuff is.

5) There's no easy multiplayer because a) there aren't enough fun multiplayer games and b) it crashed the website for various reasons when we did have it. If you want multiplayer, you can host it like a Minecraft server by port-forwarding.

6) You got that right. In some ways, that low population's bad -- not a whole lot of good stuff, so there isn't a whole lot to do. In other ways that's good -- not a whole lot of good stuff, so everyone will know about anything good you make.

If you just find some things you don't like and rage-quit, then there's no way anyone can help you. But if you can state precisely what you don't like (which you did a better job of than some people) and wait for help, we should be able to help with some pieces of it.

This guy is from ROT, I don't think your logic is going to work. Tongue
Cool.
it's not the game's fault if you can't remember where you saved your files
(07-10-2012, 01:10 PM)Jacob_ Wrote:
(07-10-2012, 12:08 PM)Qwertygiy Wrote:

This guy is from ROT, I don't think your logic is going to work. Tongue

What's ROT?
(07-10-2012, 03:16 PM)Kieron Wrote: Cool.

Thank you for that helpful post Smile
[Image: paperboy.PNG]
True beauty.