Poll:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Risk 2: City Chaos
Risk 2!

Since it's been a week since Myem updated the first thread, partly because of all the controversy over how things worked, I've decided to make a new thread for it, with more clearly defined rules of alliances and rolling, and a bonus system involving cities that I consider to be a little more easy, fair, and fun than controlling certain states. I also chopped up some of the Western territories to make them only five times or so as large as the Eastern ones, instead of twenty times.

Also, I am going to stick to regular updates. If you haven't rolled by 9 AM the next morning, sorry, you've missed a turn. Consider it an incentive to stay active Wink

You can read it in-depth below, but here's the basics of the bonuses. Controlling a city gives your nation (not you) an extra territory per turn, not per roll. Invading an occupied city is like invading 3 territories instead of 1. Having allies gives you an extra territory per roll for each nation allied with you. Being at war gives you an extra territory per roll if that roll goes into enemy territory, but costs you one if it doesn't. Breaking a treaty that is still valid is a penalty of -2.

As before, you may roll twice per turn for your nation (or any allies you have, as long as you don't invade another nation.)

[Image: a2pvky.png]

DEFINITIONS AND RULES

Turn: The time between map updates, usually 24 hours, starting between 9 AM EST and 11 AM EST. There may be 2 rolls per user per turn.

Roll: A move to expand a nation's territory into unclaimed or foreign territory. Treaties and declarations do not count as rolls. A user can roll for their nation or any allied nation. If one user makes more than 2 rolls per turn, all extra rolls will be discounted. Multiple-time offenders may be punished territory instead of given.

Treaty: A written agreement between two nations, often involving exchanges, alliances, or ending a war. No more than one treaty can be made between any two nations in one turn, though treaties can be made with more than one other nation per turn. A treaty is considered valid from the point all nations involved agree to it (either by writing a response or clicking the "Agree" button on the treaty post) until it is made defunct by a new treaty between all nations involved, it stops being valid due to a clause in the treaty such as time expiration, or it is broken. Breaking a valid treaty will give you a -2 penalty on your next roll, and is easily seen as reason for declaring war, though it is not implicitly a declaration of war. You may only write or agree to a treaty for your own nation; your allies will have to agree to it on their own.

Alliance: A pact made between two or more nations via treaty. There is a +1 bonus per roll for every nation allied with. Nations can exchange territory with allies, and also choose to roll for their allies instead of for themselves, as long as it does not exceed 2 rolls per user per turn. Allied nations will never "accidentally" exchange territory; war must be declared, treaties must be written defining boundaries, or land must be exchanged. An alliance will be ended by a declaration of war between allied nations, and can also be ended through a treaty.

Exchange: A swap of land between allied nations. It does not have to be adjacent to existing territory of the nation receiving the land. It cannot be more than 1/4th of the existing territory of the giving nation, nor can it be greater than 1/2 of the existing territory of the receiving nation. It can be part of a larger treaty, but it does not have to be.

War: War can be started via declaration, or by clearly stated invasion. Nations at war have a +1 roll bonus when expanding into enemy territory, but -1 for rolls that do not take enemy territory. War must be ended either by treaty, elimination, or annexation.

Declaration of war: Like ratifying a treaty, only the leader of a nation may declare war. Unlike a treaty, a declaration of war is considered valid as soon as it is posted, without the consent of any other nation required. Allied nations are not explicitly considered at war when one ally goes to war. Individual declarations of war must be made.

Invasion: One nation moving into another nation's territory via a normal roll, without an allied exchange. Unless explicitly stated by both nations involved, this is considered a declaration of war. Rolls made for a nation by allies cannot invade other nations.

Annexation: The merging of one nation and its land into another, via treaty. It must be done at the beginning of a turn -- neither nation can have rolled before the annexation, but both users can roll for the new nation. This is irrevocable. Once a nation has been annexed, it cannot unannex itself, and it is counted as eliminated, and cannot be "reborn" under its old color or territory by independence.

Declaration of independence: Any user who has neither owned a nation, nor rolled for one, in the past two turns may declare independence from a single existing nation. They will receive 10 territories out of the existing nation's territory instead of 5 unclaimed territories. A declaration of independence is also a declaration of war and does not require the existing nation's consent.

Elimination: If a nation runs out of territories via invasion, and has none left, they are eliminated from the game. Eliminated nations are permanently removed; however, as long as there are open colors on the chart and empty land on the map, the user can create a new nation from scratch in new unclaimed territory, or, after two turns, through declaring independence.

Cities: Cities give a +1 bonus per turn (not per roll) to the nation controlling them. Invading a city currently inside another nation costs -3 per roll instead of -1 like all non-city territories do. If you're wondering about why I chose the cities I did, I used this list, ignoring any in Alaska or Hawaii, those that were in the same territory as larger ones, or those that would result in three bordering city territories, and going down the list so that there are exactly 50 cities represented. As the most populous city, New York is represented twice.

Winning: The winner is the nation that has taken over the most cities overall by the time the game is over. This includes retaking the same city, as having the city stolen away from you doesn't count as a penalty. So if nation A and nation B each take Atlanta for 4 turns in a row, they'll each get 4 points for it.

Have fun!

-----------
Most Current Map:

[Image: 140kwog.png]
[Image: iwn8gk.gif]
>The Land of Milk and Honey
>Orange
>Los Angeles
*Roll 1: Expanding south towards the Mexican border and Arizona, and thus San Diego
>The Imperialism of Kronaria
>Green
>New England

I also request any territory I annex to go into this nation
>The Dominions of Kronaria
>Yellow
>Any territory Kronaria annexes
(This is just for show, and will perform the same action as Kronaria)

*First roll for Kronaria, expanding towards New York
*Second roll for Kronaria, expanding towards New York again
Also, does the city bonus stack?
Yes, it's +1 per turn (not per roll, and it doesn't count on the turn you take the territory) for every city territory you have. So if I take over all of California, for example, I'll have a +7 bonus each turn, which as game master, I would divide as 4 territories in the first roll and 3 territories in the second if I make one.

*2nd roll for TLOMAH, expanding northward
>Myem
>aww, you got my color, red
>Houston

Rolling for Austin
[Image: 9g5l9w1mtad.png]
The red dots specify where the bombs will be dropped.
Rolling for San Antonio
I also declare Manifest Destiny on Texas and nearby eastern cities.
[Image: 9g5l9w1mtad.png]
The red dots specify where the bombs will be dropped.
Doing the work for the first 6 rolls (the turn will still be active until 9-11 AM tomorrow morning if anyone else wants to join in, I'm just getting done what I can) I realize that I probably could have taken the time to halve nearly all the Southern California, Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, New Mexico, and Utah territories once more to make it a bit more balanced with the East Coast and Midwest (after our rolls, Kieron has only 2 cities [both NYC], Myem has all three he specified, and I had Los Angeles, San Diego, Bakersfield, Pheonix, and Tucson)... So, I'm redoing the map a little in those areas.

Note that although I am changing my territory around, it's hurting me, not helping me, because I'm making the city territories "farther apart" and harder for me to get in fewer rolls.

EDIT: And after redoing it I have only the 3 in California, though I'm almost certainly going to get the Arizona ones next roll, and I'm still within reach of several more in California. But it's slightly more balanced now and so I don't feel quite as bad for preparing to take an early lead.
After Turn 1:
[Image: 2litruw.png]

------

*Roll 1 for Keyboria, moving north into California