My review of "Social Meeps"
Some of you guys have talked about another website that you've been hanging around for a bit now, the Alexnewtron-owned "Social Meeps". I decided to check it out and say what I think of it in a half-serious manner.

From what I understand, your avatar is a round circle. For some reason this is called a "Meep". Perhaps it's what they say when you squeeze them or step on them. As the name of the website implies, Meeps are not hermits -- they prefer hanging out with other Meeps. For this purpose, they have a rather plain 2-part 2D world they can roll back and forth in that looks a bit like Early Poptropica Island.

The only purpose of this website appears to be earning enough coins to buy stuff to stick on your Meep. (That just sounds wrong, doesn't it -- stuff to stick on your Meep?) While you are waiting to earn enough coins, you can roll back and forth and chat with the other 6 or 7 Meeps who happen to be hanging out in MeepCity, or you can go to the forums.

Oh dear, the forums.

Until I saw the SM forums, I thought that the Roblox forums were bland. Roblox has no signature feature, no BB-code, no HTML, no polls, no smileys, just blue boxes of text. Buildism's forums compared to Roblox's are like comparing a Ferrari to one of those Volkswagen New Beetles.

That would make SocialMeeps one of the original Bugs. Albeit a highly-polished one.

They have the option to post a 3-option poll (if anyone can find a way to make that more useful than "yes, no, don't care" then please let me know) and you can make a one-line signature. There is literally nothing else -- no BB code, no HTML, no smileys, no images, no clickable links, no timestamp, no "page 2" of threads, no "page 2" of posts IN a thread, and the background is a gradiented gray.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that Ashely got hired there a day or two ago. Probably explains her sudden loss of sanity last night -- she must have figured there was no reason to hang around dull old Buildism when there's shiny new Meeps to go boss around.

All in all, it doesn't appear horrible, but it doesn't look to me like it could really get very popular when it gets out of Beta, whenever that's supposed to be. It reminds me of theGamerLand, only without the obnoxious owner (haven't actually talked to Alex yet, so I'm just assuming he's a normal sane person; I could be wrong).
how does she get hired on every website
(08-16-2012, 01:23 PM)Duck Wrote: how does she get hired on every website

Ashley was being a mini-mod on the socialmeeps forums.
She's trying to be a 'good-noodle' so she can be a mod.
Not to mention, she's a girl so that means she's automatically hired!
Socialmeeps can go suck my balls.
The socialmeeps moderation system is a disgrace as well.
Alexnewtron (the owner of socialmeeps) is much nicer than the owner of TGL. Alex usually isn't able to talk though because he's busy re-coding the site most of the time.
Finally. A real constructive review. Thank you. Smile
(08-17-2012, 11:59 AM)realalexnewtron Wrote: Finally. A real constructive review. Thank you. Smile

Since he didn't mention it, I really like the online avatar chat. Out of all of the community sites that get complained about on Buildism, SM is the only one that could be classified as a game.
As much of the crap I put up with Invader, what I said was nothing that serious. These guys do it all the time and you all "Lol" but when I did something "Oh I hate Ashely" "Shes not doing her job right"

I found about about the site from one of the users here, and I've talked to Jacob and he has told me he's given up on Buildism. I don't have so much free time left so I thought it would be cool to join another community.

Oh as for the review, some valid points, some not; but good review.

Oh as for the main store idea you guys hated on, they have 150 users online for a limited item, I'm not saying some arent alts but it literally shut the site down today. Imagine that for Buildism? Plus the game, users would love this site.

(08-18-2012, 01:41 AM)Ash Wrote: 3. As much of the crap I put up with Invader, what I said was nothing that serious. These guys do it all the time and you all "Lol" but when I did something "Oh I hate Ashely" "Shes not doing her job right"

I found about about the site from one of the users here, and I've talked to Jacob and he has told me he's given up on Buildism. I don't have so much free time left so I thought it would be cool to join another community.

Oh as for the review, some valid points, some not; but good review.

2. Oh as for the main store idea you guys hated on, they have 150 users online for a limited item, I'm not saying some arent alts but it literally shut the site down today. Imagine that for Buildism?

1. Plus the game, users would love this site.

1. SM or Buildism would love SM or Buildism?

2. So? We have a good community.

3. Mods are excepted to act mature.
[Image: 2eehsib.gif]
(08-18-2012, 01:41 AM)Ash Wrote: As much of the crap I put up with Invader, what I said was nothing that serious. These guys do it all the time and you all "Lol" but when I did something "Oh I hate Ashely" "Shes not doing her job right"

I've put up with your crap since April 2011, what I did was nothing serious and you still banned me. You did all that stuff all the time and everyone Lol'd but when I did something "Oh Kieron broke a minor rule/unlisted rule" "Ban him"

Karma hurts, doesn't it?
(08-18-2012, 01:41 AM)Ash Wrote: Oh as for the main store idea you guys hated on, they have 150 users online for a limited item, I'm not saying some arent alts but it literally shut the site down today. Imagine that for Buildism? Plus the game, users would love this site.

Yes, we all want a thousand whiny morons crying over they didn't get an item.
The number of users isn't necessarily related to the quality of the game, it's because it got a lot of free publicity due to alexnewtron being a popular ROBLOX player.
Jacob_, ROBLOX also made a blog post about socialmeeps.
;c