Make Buildism open-source.
The other reason: if everyone has access to the source code, then hacking will be really easy.
I agree with Jacob_ if it was open source, then hacking would be easy as eating a cookie.
[Image: 1te6tmtu01m.png]
the dogs will take over these countries.
(05-30-2011, 05:22 PM)noob007 Wrote: Summariez:

Free software doesn't mean free as in price, but free as in freedom to modify, distribute and view the software.

what if you dont want people redistributing your software?
[Image: 5widdh.png]
Siggy by McNoobster!
[Image: loading.gif]
(05-30-2011, 08:46 PM)Testerrocksroblox Wrote: Unsupport, Buildism is copyright and unless we got bankrupt, let's not open-source it.

>implying open source software can't be copyrighted.

(05-30-2011, 08:52 PM)Jacob_ Wrote: The other reason: if everyone has access to the source code, then hacking will be really easy.

For singleplayer this isn't a problem, and for multiplayer it can easily be fixed if the server is written in a way so that it doesn't trust the client. Also, there are many open source multiplayer games that don't have problems with hackers because the server is either secure or hackers get immediately banned.

(05-30-2011, 08:54 PM)Testerrocksroblox Wrote: I agree with Jacob_ if it was open source, then hacking would be easy as eating a cookie.

You'll still need to know Java.

(05-30-2011, 08:55 PM)toast Wrote:
(05-30-2011, 05:22 PM)noob007 Wrote: Summariez:

Free software doesn't mean free as in price, but free as in freedom to modify, distribute and view the software.

what if you dont want people redistributing your software?

Why? You'll still get credit.

I'm surprised how many of you guys are so ignorant/paranoid about open-sourceness. I guess it has to do with the Roblox mentality about hackers.
1: Then people would make Buildism games not hosted at Buildism.net and the site would lose a lot of potential players as well as games. We have a lack of good games already.

2: There is really no need to in my opinion. What exactly could we gain by making Buildism open source? Not much that wouldn't also be a major drawback. Besides, its' already an editor program.
(05-30-2011, 11:59 PM)Qwertygiy Wrote: 1: Then people would make Buildism games not hosted at Buildism.net and the site would lose a lot of potential players as well as games. We have a lack of good games already.

2: There is really no need to in my opinion. What exactly could we gain by making Buildism open source? Not much that wouldn't also be a major drawback. Besides, its' already an editor program.

1. Well, Minecraft is doing well and all the games are hosted elsewhere, yes?

2. It would be improved by all the people who know Java.
(05-31-2011, 12:03 AM)noob007 Wrote: 1. Well, Minecraft is doing well and all the games are hosted elsewhere, yes?

1: Really? I thought minecraft.net hosted their own games. Although I know just about nothing about MC.

2: But rarely would the improvements add on to other people's improvements, and often they would contradict each other and you'd end up with chaos. Jacob_ is pretty good at Java and he's almost always fixing little bugs that keep popping up.
(05-31-2011, 12:13 AM)Qwertygiy Wrote:
(05-31-2011, 12:03 AM)noob007 Wrote: 1. Well, Minecraft is doing well and all the games are hosted elsewhere, yes?

1: Really? I thought minecraft.net hosted their own games. Although I know just about nothing about MC.

2: But rarely would the improvements add on to other people's improvements, and often they would contradict each other and you'd end up with chaos. Jacob_ is pretty good at Java and he's almost always fixing little bugs that keep popping up.

2. It won't cause chaos. With a good version control system such as subversion or mercurial, it could become very successful.
Bump of epicness.
Hi alt.