Poll:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

About how much would it cost monthly to keep a small MMO up and running on average?
I'm just curious to what you guys know. I haven't found any reasonable estimates on the interwebzz so you guys are my only hope. I'm guessing it's only like 5 bucks a month to keep the server and host up and running?
[Image: m2m2gSSDCz-2.png]

Well I WAS the walrus.
It will cost about two and a half kidneys.
[Image: AmZJnA9.png]
QQ
I thought something close to 10$ would be enough monthly.

Well I WAS the walrus.
http://x10vps.com/

Assuming that that would be capable of hosting it (I don't know too much about this kind of thing), about $9 per month for the cheapest package (15 GB storage, 0.5TB bandwith, 0.75GB RAM), and $19 per month for the next up (double everything).
[Image: iwn8gk.gif]
(03-05-2013, 01:55 PM)Ghosty Wrote: http://x10vps.com/

Assuming that that would be capable of hosting it (I don't know too much about this kind of thing), about $9 per month for the cheapest package (15 GB storage, 0.5TB bandwith, 0.75GB RAM), and $19 per month for the next up (double everything).

What exactly does all of this RAM, GB and TB, and bandwith crap even mean? Is it like depending on how many people will visit your site?

Well I WAS the walrus.

If you don't even know what RAM, GB, and bandwidth mean, I can't say that you'll have much luck running an MMO server. That's critical stuff that anyone who plays video games on a computer should know.

Basically, a bit is either 1 or 0. On or off. It's what computers use to store data.

A byte is 8 bits, and generally the simplest, smallest unit of storage. Each character that you're reading right now takes up a byte of space.

A kilobyte (KB) is a thousand bytes. This post is probably around 5 kilobytes.

A megabyte (MB) is a thousand kilobytes (or a million bytes). Most MP3 music is around 5 to 8 megabytes.

A gigabyte (GB) is a thousand megabytes (or a billion bytes), and is the largest common unit of storage. My really old, crappy hard drive can store about 77 gigabytes.

A terabyte (TB) is a thousand gigabytes (or a trillion bytes). Most higher-end hard drives these days are 1 or 2 terabytes.

RAM is short for Random-Access Memory. Your computer stores data in RAM that it needs to run and load programs. Generally, more RAM means faster response times, less lag, and you can run more programs at one time. My laptop has 1 GB of RAM, which is enough to run Minecraft at a somewhat-playable 15 frames per second and have Chrome running G-mail well enough that it sometimes is able to alert me when I get a message.

Bandwidth is how much data gets sent to and from a server. Every time you load a webpage, or view an image, it adds to that page's bandwidth, because the server has to send that file to your computer.
[Image: iwn8gk.gif]
(03-06-2013, 12:29 AM)Ghosty Wrote: ...

If you don't even know what RAM, GB, and bandwidth mean, I can't say that you'll have much luck running an MMO server. That's critical stuff that anyone who plays video games on a computer should know.

Basically, a bit is either 1 or 0. On or off. It's what computers use to store data.

A byte is 8 bits, and generally the simplest, smallest unit of storage. Each character that you're reading right now takes up a byte of space.

A kilobyte (KB) is a thousand bytes. This post is probably around 5 kilobytes.

A megabyte (MB) is a thousand kilobytes (or a million bytes). Most MP3 music is around 5 to 8 megabytes.

A gigabyte (GB) is a thousand megabytes (or a billion bytes), and is the largest common unit of storage. My really old, crappy hard drive can store about 77 gigabytes.

A terabyte (TB) is a thousand gigabytes (or a trillion bytes). Most higher-end hard drives these days are 1 or 2 terabytes.

RAM is short for Random-Access Memory. Your computer stores data in RAM that it needs to run and load programs. Generally, more RAM means faster response times, less lag, and you can run more programs at one time. My laptop has 1 GB of RAM, which is enough to run Minecraft at a somewhat-playable 15 frames per second and have Chrome running G-mail well enough that it sometimes is able to alert me when I get a message.

Bandwidth is how much data gets sent to and from a server. Every time you load a webpage, or view an image, it adds to that page's bandwidth, because the server has to send that file to your computer.

what the hell does that mean

Well I WAS the walrus.
If you don't understand what that means, then you really shouldn't be running a small MMO server.
[Image: 2eehsib.gif]
(03-06-2013, 02:32 AM)DysLabs Wrote: If you don't understand what that means, then you really shouldn't be running a small MMO server.

Can't do anything without the basics. Confusedulk:
[Image: yesssssss_zpsc49d4672.png]
I'm not going to be running the server though, my friend in school would. I seriously gotta read up on RAM, GB's and MB, etc. Even my 18 year old cousin knows what they are equivalent too and what they mean, she even codes in HTML and Java (she only likes web-design).

Well I WAS the walrus.