Poll:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thinking about getting a new laptop
You've all heard me complain about "the Craptop". Dell Inspiron laptop, 77-GB hard drive, 1 GB of RAM, Intel Mobile Chipset graphics card (if there's graphics requirements on something, and it was made in the past decade, the card fails), the monitor hinges are busted, the headphone port is trashed, and the keyboard is falling apart.

I've looked around at Wal-Mart for a new one but nothing's struck me as "the Answer" yet. So, what are your opinions?

Dealbreakers:
  • Costs more than $500. I don't have a ton of money to throw at it.
  • Non-mobile. I don't have room to put a tower anywhere.
  • Intel graphics card. I'm fed up of being unable to play anything without heavy modifications and restrictions.
  • Less than 2 GB RAM. Minecraft on Short Render at 15 FPS -- with OptiFine on lowest settings -- is somewhat playable, but I want more than 'somewhat playable'.
  • Less than 100 GB hard drive. I'm fed up with "C:/ is running low on space!"
  • Non-Windows OS. This means no Chromebook, no iPad. And I don't think Linux comes natively on anything. I'd prefer Windows 7 over Windows 8, but I may not have a choice anymore.
  • Must be bought online. If I can't get it at Wal-Mart or Best Buy or Target, I probably can't get it, period.
[Image: iwn8gk.gif]
£350 for a decent laptop?
A great modern-laptop here in the UK is £170.

'Murica
There are plenty that are under 500 dollars, but there are some that are more than that. I'm just setting that as my hard can't-spend-over-that limit.
(03-06-2013, 07:32 PM)Kieron Wrote: £350 for a decent laptop?
A great modern-laptop here in the UK is £170.

'Murica

Duh, America's currency is worth less than Britain's.

I recommend getting an Acer Aspire laptop.
[Image: m2m2gSSDCz-2.png]

Well I WAS the walrus.
(03-06-2013, 09:55 PM)Oak Wrote: I recommend getting an Acer Aspire laptop.

We had one of those about 5 years ago, with Windows Vista.

Suffice it to say that working on that laptop taught me how to use a soldering iron, how to replace a faulty laptop screen, and how to defeat viruses that Microsoft couldn't.

Also, we got it from Circuit City, which went bankrupt the week after we sent it to them for repairs, and the power cord got recalled a few months after we got it because it was a fire hazard.

Not very fond memories of that thing.
I remember when my dad filed for bankruptcy in 2009 when he lost a few million on a failure investment. Apparently we're not "qualified" to file for bankruptcy. Total BS. It's not possible to be "not qualified" for it.
[Image: m2m2gSSDCz-2.png]

Well I WAS the walrus.
(03-07-2013, 03:52 PM)Oak Wrote: I remember when my dad filed for bankruptcy in 2009 when he lost a few million on a failure investment. Apparently we're not "qualified" to file for bankruptcy. Total BS. It's not possible to be "not qualified" for it.

Well if there was no restrictions people could abuse the system.
[Image: paperboy.PNG]
True beauty.
You got some VERY hard dealbreakers here. It's almost impossible to get a laptop for 500 with NVidia graphics, especially at a store- unless you have a Fry's near you. Building a desktop is the way you should go. I can put together a somewhat low-profile gaming PC for that, but you're not giving me much room here.
[Image: 76561198037039305.png][spoiler][Image: 8RCR4Mv.gif][/spoiler]
What Inner said. I have a decent laptop for about $700.
Either lower your standards or you'll be searching for a long time.
So, I'm probably going to have to wait a few more months until I can afford a higher price, is essentially what it looks like, then.