Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposition for programming tutorials (You decide!)
Hello to the Buildism community.

For all of those who do not know who I am, my name is Ryne Thiel, and I am a CS (computer science) & programming student at the College of Lake County in Chicago, Illinois. I have started my college career in the programming / game development field when I was only 14. I am now 17. I've been programming Java now for about a week over 7 years, as I had first decided to pick up the Java programming language when I was 10. Of course, I did not excel or go anywhere far with it until a few years later.

I want you, the members of this awesome community, to make a decision. I am considering conducting many tutorials for the Java programming language, which is what Buildism is coded in, obviously. Java is, if programmed properly, one of the most powerful programming languages out there. Many people dislike Java because it's "slow". That's the programmer's fault, not Java's fault by any means.

You see, Java is incredibly fast, powerful, efficient, professional, and simple enough to use to make a great game or pretty much anything that you want to make. Not to mention, unlike other languages such as C++, Java was built so that it is cross-platformed by default! You don't need to recompile your programs on Windows, Mac, Linux, etc, every time you want to update your program. When I first started Java, I promise to you that I wrote the slowest, dumbest programs that the world has ever seen. What was I doing wrong though?

I was making the mistakes that I am willing to teach YOU, the users of Buildism, to not make. These mistakes were making my programs run very slow and they looked awful.

I'm willing to teach all of you the fundamentals, basics & syntax, intermediate leveled skills, and advanced Java programming from scratch.

Yes, I mean literally from scratch.

I just want to know three things from all of you, so please answer these questions, and hopefully some feedback and ideas in your reply to this thread:

1.) Would you like to learn the Java programming language and almost everything about it in a large series of Buildism-only tutorials?

2.) If so, would you like the tutorials written in text, or in videos?

3.) If Jacob would allow for the tutorials to be placed on Buildism (so that they are for Buildism only), would you like that more than them being visible to everyone on Youtube? After all, it would be a perk for new players to join Buildism.

Please let me know; I'm looking forward to hearing all of your feedback! Thank you for your time.
-CoderRyne
Ryne Thiel
1.) Would you like to learn the Java programming language and almost everything about it in a large series of Buildism-only tutorials?
-Sure!

-Videos.

3.) If Jacob would allow for the tutorials to be placed on Buildism (so that they are for Buildism only), would you like that more than them being visible to everyone on Youtube? After all, it would be a perk for new players to join Buildism.
-It would be awesome if it was a member only thing, But that's up to you to decided.
Hello
(08-04-2011, 02:59 PM)Ashely Wrote: 1.) Would you like to learn the Java programming language and almost everything about it in a large series of Buildism-only tutorials?
-Sure!

-Videos.

-It would be awesome if it was a member only thing, But that's up too you to decided.

Thank you for your feedback, Ashely!
-CoderRyne
Ryne Thiel
-Yes I would.

-Either.

-Yes, but please pay attention to the people who agreed to do this with you.
[Image: chaosthegreat.png]

Yes. I am actually going into classes soon, and to see a tutorial before the classes gets me a starting point, and if I ever have any questions after school, I can go right to the tutorials.

Preferably in text. But, if it requires something more advanced, text and a video.

It doesn't matter - if you help other people other than Buildism in the process, then I think you truly deserve a reward for that.
[Image: poptartFINALTINY.gif]
[Image: log.png?t=1302647037]
Thank you for your feedback! I need a bit more from people before I start making tutorials; I don't want to waste my time doing so if the people do not want them.
-CoderRyne
Ryne Thiel
If you feel like you want to go ahead and make some, I don't think there's anyone here who WOULDN'T want them here -- obviously some of us aren't going to use it much (myself, I'm all tangled up with my Lua and HTML and trying to make sense of Javascript, PHP, CSS and MySQL as well) but I think this is something that the community as a whole could probably use.
This is a good idea! The only problem is where the link to the tutorials page should go.

How about a members only forum in the OT section?
(08-04-2011, 04:38 PM)CoderRyne Wrote: Thank you for your feedback! I need a bit more from people before I start making tutorials; I don't want to waste my time doing so if the people do not want them.

Many people change minds, and would like to see things when they're ready. Often times, people don't feel ready the second you make a tutorial. I assure you, the effort for the tutorial will be rewarding and in itself, a helpful thing, and any flamers who flame the tutorial will be warned/banned, depending on the situation, as a flame directly at a helpful post is completely unnecessary and rude, and puts down a user.

I assure you, many people would love to see a guide from you! ^_^
[Image: poptartFINALTINY.gif]
[Image: log.png?t=1302647037]
Alright, I'm sold. I'll be starting the tutorials very soon; I am going to actually buy a brand new 700.00$ 1.5TB (1500 GBs, for those who are too lazy to do the math) later today. I'm sure that you would much rather having me make these tutorials on the new computer, correct?

I'm going to teach you guys everything from simple programming terms, to installing Eclipse IDE for work with Java, to syntax, to writing small Applets / Applications, to small 2D / 3D games, all the way into professional 2D / 3D game programs. The list goes on. I'll be writing my curriculum up right now.

I'm not the best of server-side programmers, but I might integrate some "multiplayer" content into my curriculum. I will need to brush up a bit before I do so, however.

Thank you for being kind enough to give me this chance to help you all learn, everyone.
-CoderRyne
Ryne Thiel