Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have an idea, but I have no idea how to do it.
See, I really really want to make a racing/driving MMOG, but what program/engine should I use to try to make it? It probably won't get done, I just want to see if I can get basics done with something and then if I can I can go from there.

Requirements I'd need:
  • It has to be free.
  • It has to have 3D physics, even if it just uses obj files.
  • Some way to have Multiplayer is good.
  • Some programming language that isn't overly complicated -- Lua would be best, but I could try to work out Java or C or something

I don't know if there is anything like that, but if there is I want to be able to try to at least see if it's possible.
You could try jMonkeyEngine (http://jmonkeyengine.org)

It comes with a SDK based on NetBeans.

and is free, 3D, and you might be able to get MP if you play with sources.
and tell me if its infected or not.
(09-24-2011, 09:22 PM)roperson Wrote: You could try jMonkeyEngine (http://jmonkeyengine.org)

jMonkeyEngine is probably the best choice for Java. LWJGL is popular too, and Minecraft uses it.

If it's your first time programming in a language other than Lua, you might want to try Processing - it's a simpler version of Java with 2D and 3D graphics features. Or you can just use it as a graphics library for Java, because their code editor is kind of hard to use.

There are a lot more choices for C++. Many graphics engines don't include physics, but you should be able to integrate Bullet.

I don't have any experience with C++ engines, but these are the ones I've heard the most about:
  • Crystal Space
  • Ogre
  • SDL (low-level, but easier than using OpenGL directly)
(09-24-2011, 10:11 PM)Jacob_ Wrote:
(09-24-2011, 09:22 PM)roperson Wrote: You could try jMonkeyEngine (http://jmonkeyengine.org)

jMonkeyEngine is probably the best choice for Java. LWJGL is popular too, and Minecraft uses it.

If it's your first time programming in a language other than Lua, you might want to try Processing - it's a simpler version of Java with 2D and 3D graphics features. Or you can just use it as a graphics library for Java, because their code editor is kind of hard to use.

There are a lot more choices for C++. Many graphics engines don't include physics, but you should be able to integrate Bullet.

I don't have any experience with C++ engines, but these are the ones I've heard the most about:
  • Crystal Space
  • Ogre

I once tried OpenGL directly.

My worst mistake.
Happy 600th post Smile
Smile

I didn't even see that coming.
Back on topic, I've tested out jME (jMonkeyEngine) and it's the BEST!

Use it.
(09-24-2011, 10:11 PM)Jacob_ Wrote: jMonkeyEngine is probably the best choice for Java. LWJGL is popular too, and Minecraft uses it.

• Crystal Space
  • Ogre

Isn't Ogre a rendering engine?

(09-25-2011, 07:54 AM)Duck Wrote:
(09-24-2011, 10:11 PM)Jacob_ Wrote: jMonkeyEngine is probably the best choice for Java. LWJGL is popular too, and Minecraft uses it.

• Crystal Space
  • Ogre

Isn't Ogre a rendering engine?

I think it's both.
(09-25-2011, 01:18 AM)roperson Wrote: Back on topic, I've tested out jME (jMonkeyEngine) and it's the BEST!

Use it.

Alright.

One question: Does the jME website (or program) have a Java programming base/tutorial like W3schools does with HTML and PHP, or do I need to find another site to start with basic Java?
You will need a basic knowledge of Java, but there wiki is pretty straight-forward.

http://jmonkeyengine.org/wiki