Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey, what happened to my account?!
That certainly is a surprise, coming back to see how things are going, and my account is gone (along with a lot of other old accounts I see). Took me a while to figure out what was going on...

Um, anyways, the Wikipedia article is interesting, it's nice to see that the site didn't die. Guess I was wrong when I said I was going to stay with buildism for a long time though Tongue

There are still names that I remember here, and I also see some new names. It seems there has been a growth in members (I think). How did that happen? And what's with the three captcha's at the registering area? Haha :lol:
Here's a quick summary of what happened since the big CoderRyne-Ashely drama last year.

NOTHING HAPPENED.

For about 5 months. Everything was reeeeeally slow.

We let Kieron back in, a couple of newcomers joined but out of those only Franco30557 really stuck around.

Then, the beginning of the drama. Like last year, right around April Fools Day.

As the official April Fools Day joke, Jacob_ changed the site layout and dates to 2002. I don't believe we have any screenshots. As the unofficial April Fools Day joke, I changed my name to Ghosty, and me, mat251465 (my RL friend who joined for about a month before permanently leaving for personal reasons), the aforementioned Franco, and Glome had a ton of fun with that. Ghostbusters were obviously involved, but then things took a turn for the surreal as he sniped the name Qwertygiy on April 2nd while I was debating whether I should actually change back or not. I joined in with the account GIome, and even Jacob_ joined in with a post under an account named Glome_. In the end I got my name back and everything went back to normal.

About a month later, one of the few new members who had stuck around for any length of time, Latinxassasin, rejoined, and began the reign of terror. Together with Franco, he posted hundreds of useless posts and sidetracked dozens of threads in unforseen, unexpected, unnatural directions, finally resulting in the return of global site chat, a 3-day posting suspension for LXA, and the implementation (thanks to Dignity/roperson, and some tweaking by Jacob_) of our awesome post rating system.

Shortly after this, the real drama began. At this time I was struggling heavily with some really depressing real-life stuff, and the way I dealt with it was becoming a bit more snappy and sharp-witted with all the arguing. I still have the urge to shout out GLaDOS quotes now and again.... but it's just not the same when Franco and Ashely aren't around to receive them, and be the only ones not to get them.

It started with Kieron. He was nowhere as bad as Latin or Franco had been, but after that incident everyone else basically went quiet in the forums. There was little posting activity, and since the start of this narrative there's been very, very little game-making. He and Ashely still had a bit of a mutual grudge, and eventually Ashely banned him for 3 days for bypassing the swear filter -- nothing inherently wrong in that, although I had merely given him a 2-point warning and edited his post earlier that day for the same thing. What really triggered it was the way Ashely acted like it was all a joke and then "covered it up", being cryptic about everything even when other mods tried to ask what had happened. This triggered a full-on 3-day Anti-Ashely Rebellion, with Glome, Luckyone, and Dignity the main attack force, and Kieron and Walrus (another new member who joined at around this time and has stayed) providing backup. It was finally resolved with a few words of advice all around and everyone continued on normally.

Not.

I'm not entirely sure what happened to Franco30557. He had been a bit random before, but right after this he just went totally crazy. Posting non-rhyming nonsensical "song lyrics" in the chat, starting really pointless arguments ("You need to get a drivers license Qwerty!!!") and making outrageous or downright stupid claims without making them funny (noob007: I know, maybe he's a Turkish spy, sent to annoy all the Greeks and sabotage elections! Franco30557: I hate Turks. Me: ... Why? noob007: um why? Franco30557: They're responsible for America) and refusing to get over past disappointments (Franco30557: ITALY CHEATED!!!11!!!! THEY CHEATED! THEY HOGGED THE BALL! THEY SHOULD HAVE LET BRITAIN WIN!! Me: That soccer game. Was 3. Weeks. Ago. Franco30557: But... They cheated!!) and it did not improve. It got so bad that finally, after dealing with it for over 3 months, everyone decided "Nothing useful is happening, our community is being invaded with crap and we can't do anything productive". Franco was IP-banned, and the site was reset on July 31st. (Coincidentally that's also the day that depressing real-life stuff finally came to a close.)

A few days later, he returned. After some dude bot-spammed over 500 accounts for no real apparent reason, we'd just settled back to enjoy our newly-reawakened community when someone with the username Darkspine-Thesaurus signed up. Nothing too unusual, he popped into the chat, said hello, asked how to make a game, got into a discussion with me and a few other members. But... I was suspicious. And in the end, after about 6 hours of both public and moderative debate (including some serious disagreements between me and Ashely) he finally was definitively proven as being Franco and banned.

And then he signed up again.

150 times.

Finally, he gave up... for now.

Shortly after that ended, Ashely got in more drama. Disagreements both with other members and other moderators, spurred on in part by disparaging comments by the third active "new member", Invader. After getting hired at a new social site started by famous Robloxian Alexnewtron, she just lost it here. She "resigned" for the sole purpose of PAing Invader in the chat, saying some pretty nasty stuff, for which she received not only demotion but a month-long ban.

There's been some minor discussions and swap-overs with that new site recently, Social Meeps, but nothing too major. Over the past few days, I changed my username to Ashely as a joke... and it spawned a couple days of all the mods swapping names back and forth that hasn't quite ended yet.

And that's basically all that's happened in the past year.
I missed you. c:
Stay this time?

(Funny, I asked if you were a modernator before yestarday)
(09-03-2012, 11:41 AM)Scripter Wrote: That certainly is a surprise, coming back to see how things are going, and my account is gone (along with a lot of other old accounts I see). Took me a while to figure out what was going on...

Um, anyways, the Wikipedia article is interesting, it's nice to see that the site didn't die. Guess I was wrong when I said I was going to stay with buildism for a long time though Tongue

There are still names that I remember here, and I also see some new names. It seems there has been a growth in members (I think). How did that happen? And what's with the three captcha's at the registering area? Haha :lol:
I'm fairly new, and staying active. :o

(09-03-2012, 01:12 PM)Qwertygiy Wrote: Here's a quick summary of what happened since the big CoderRyne-Ashely drama last year.

NOTHING HAPPENED.

For about 5 months. Everything was reeeeeally slow.

We let Kieron back in, a couple of newcomers joined but out of those only Franco30557 really stuck around.

Then, the beginning of the drama. Like last year, right around April Fools Day.

As the official April Fools Day joke, Jacob_ changed the site layout and dates to 2002. I don't believe we have any screenshots. As the unofficial April Fools Day joke, I changed my name to Ghosty, and me, mat251465 (my RL friend who joined for about a month before permanently leaving for personal reasons), the aforementioned Franco, and Glome had a ton of fun with that. Ghostbusters were obviously involved, but then things took a turn for the surreal as he sniped the name Qwertygiy on April 2nd while I was debating whether I should actually change back or not. I joined in with the account GIome, and even Jacob_ joined in with a post under an account named Glome_. In the end I got my name back and everything went back to normal.

About a month later, one of the few new members who had stuck around for any length of time, Latinxassasin, rejoined, and began the reign of terror. Together with Franco, he posted hundreds of useless posts and sidetracked dozens of threads in unforseen, unexpected, unnatural directions, finally resulting in the return of global site chat, a 3-day posting suspension for LXA, and the implementation (thanks to Dignity/roperson, and some tweaking by Jacob_) of our awesome post rating system.

Shortly after this, the real drama began. At this time I was struggling heavily with some really depressing real-life stuff, and the way I dealt with it was becoming a bit more snappy and sharp-witted with all the arguing. I still have the urge to shout out GLaDOS quotes now and again.... but it's just not the same when Franco and Ashely aren't around to receive them, and be the only ones not to get them.

It started with Kieron. He was nowhere as bad as Latin or Franco had been, but after that incident everyone else basically went quiet in the forums. There was little posting activity, and since the start of this narrative there's been very, very little game-making. He and Ashely still had a bit of a mutual grudge, and eventually Ashely banned him for 3 days for bypassing the swear filter -- nothing inherently wrong in that, although I had merely given him a 2-point warning and edited his post earlier that day for the same thing. What really triggered it was the way Ashely acted like it was all a joke and then "covered it up", being cryptic about everything even when other mods tried to ask what had happened. This triggered a full-on 3-day Anti-Ashely Rebellion, with Glome, Luckyone, and Dignity the main attack force, and Kieron and Walrus (another new member who joined at around this time and has stayed) providing backup. It was finally resolved with a few words of advice all around and everyone continued on normally.

Not.

I'm not entirely sure what happened to Franco30557. He had been a bit random before, but right after this he just went totally crazy. Posting non-rhyming nonsensical "song lyrics" in the chat, starting really pointless arguments ("You need to get a drivers license Qwerty!!!") and making outrageous or downright stupid claims without making them funny (noob007: I know, maybe he's a Turkish spy, sent to annoy all the Greeks and sabotage elections! Franco30557: I hate Turks. Me: ... Why? noob007: um why? Franco30557: They're responsible for America) and refusing to get over past disappointments (Franco30557: ITALY CHEATED!!!11!!!! THEY CHEATED! THEY HOGGED THE BALL! THEY SHOULD HAVE LET BRITAIN WIN!! Me: That soccer game. Was 3. Weeks. Ago. Franco30557: But... They cheated!!) and it did not improve. It got so bad that finally, after dealing with it for over 3 months, everyone decided "Nothing useful is happening, our community is being invaded with crap and we can't do anything productive". Franco was IP-banned, and the site was reset on July 31st. (Coincidentally that's also the day that depressing real-life stuff finally came to a close.)

A few days later, he returned. After some dude bot-spammed over 500 accounts for no real apparent reason, we'd just settled back to enjoy our newly-reawakened community when someone with the username Darkspine-Thesaurus signed up. Nothing too unusual, he popped into the chat, said hello, asked how to make a game, got into a discussion with me and a few other members. But... I was suspicious. And in the end, after about 6 hours of both public and moderative debate (including some serious disagreements between me and Ashely) he finally was definitively proven as being Franco and banned.

And then he signed up again.

150 times.

Finally, he gave up... for now.

Shortly after that ended, Ashely got in more drama. Disagreements both with other members and other moderators, spurred on in part by disparaging comments by the third active "new member", Invader. After getting hired at a new social site started by famous Robloxian Alexnewtron, she just lost it here. She "resigned" for the sole purpose of PAing Invader in the chat, saying some pretty nasty stuff, for which she received not only demotion but a month-long ban.

There's been some minor discussions and swap-overs with that new site recently, Social Meeps, but nothing too major. Over the past few days, I changed my username to Ashely as a joke... and it spawned a couple days of all the mods swapping names back and forth that hasn't quite ended yet.

And that's basically all that's happened in the past year.
I was the one who found Social Meeps, I'm glad I did, she's gone. Finally.
And why didn't you mention me before the Ashely thing? I joined in April and started getting active like 2 months after that. qq
~Invader~
Welcome back!

The extra CAPTCHAs were added because of the already-mentioned alt spamming (bot-assisted and otherwise) but I'll remove one now.

Qwertygiy gave a much better summary of everything than I could, so I'll just post a screenshot of the April Fool's joke since no one else has one.

[Image: 0pU4R.png]

Also, multiplayer is up again at random times (but only when I don't forget about it.)
@Qwertgiy
Wow, quite the great response. I sure wasn't expecting something in that much detail. The bit about Ashely certain surprised me, I didn't think she would do something like that...

@DysLab
I might check in every once in a while, but it won't be regularly. I may try making a new game later though.
I remember the small amount of time I was a moderator though. I recall that I felt pressured to do a good job, and was overly worried about making mistakes xD

@Invader
Nice to meet you.

@_Jacob
Thanks!
Why did you decide to go with 2002? Wouldn't something outrageous be more interesting (like 7777 or 1984)? Tongue
Because there were no websites in 1984, obviously Tongue