2DWorlds Forums

Full Version: The total guide to saving bandwidth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Updates will happen.
First off, when you delete a user/thread/post, make sure it actually gets wiped from the server, and not in some other place. Also, add a deletion - someone with all sorts of skins being banned could take up a lot of bandwidth.

Delete previous slightly modified skins that are the same or almost exactly the same, but not quite. With permission. ^1
-To be updated-

=Resources & Thanx=
^1 - Credit to DSiDewd for the idea.
(04-02-2011, 10:03 PM)Login Wrote: [ -> ]Updates will happen.
First off, when you delete a user/thread/post, make sure it actually gets wiped from the server, and not in some other place. Also, add a deletion - someone with all sorts of skins being banned could take up a lot of bandwidth.

-To be updated-

I've been seeing alot of skins that are simply the default skin slightly modified. Maybe these could be deleted?
Yes, those should too - moderation may have to go into effect.
A player's skin template is around... 10-30 kilobytes (depends on the number of colors, really)

1 gigabyte of data = 50,000 skins.

The player's image (the one on the top-left of this post) is about 10 kilobytes

1 gigabyte of data = 100,000 player images.

This is barely worth it, even on a large scale. Maybe there are othe ways?
AK47, this will help in the long run. If you wait for it to pile up like that, it's going to get worse and a worse time in cleaning it up when it is needed to be cleaned up.
I agree with Login here; getting rid of it fast helps before it gets backed up. Of course, this applies to lots of things in life.
Perhaps skins can be auto-deleted after one month if nobody has worn it yet?

If somebody is currently wearing the skin, the skin won't get deleted unless that user hasn't been online for a month.
(04-09-2011, 09:18 PM)Scripter Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps skins can be auto-deleted after one month if nobody has worn it yet?

If somebody is currently wearing the skin, the skin won't get deleted unless that user hasn't been online for a month.

Eh.. that's taking the idea a little too far, I mean, what if the user comes back? Or what if it's a really good skin?
Maybe we need a "quit button"... The account can be recovered until after 6 months after deletion. After 6 months the account is deleted for good!

NEVER auto-delete an account without any consent. A player might come back after many years to see his/her account... Or at least send a warning via E-mail.
If I became a MOD, I would delete all spam of skins. With permission course. I think Login and I would make good mods. I've been told I was good.