If Buildism ever has a currency
(07-01-2011, 09:46 AM)Tarabukka Wrote:
(07-01-2011, 09:41 AM)JoeGremel Wrote: It also should be purchasable like 2 dollar= # Buildism credits.

I wouldn't be so sure that would be practical or entirely beneficial:

- Payment is hard. You can jump through a billion hoops to get certified to actually take credit cards, where you're losing trust anyway, or use a vendor like PayPal or Google Checkout, who charge quite a bit of commission and will randomly suspend your account forever for having too much money (PayPal mostly in the latter)

- Payment can corrupt. When members who have paid to get Buildism credits have extra privileges that don't make sense - extra weight in polls or something like that - you have problems. See: Roblox.

- Payment isn't too great for the economy. It's nice to peg your currency to something else to make it a little more stable, but you can't be sure you're being fair. BlockCommunity uses a reward point system for referrals, with the RP then being translated into cash or badges. The cash offered, I must admit, isn't great; the exchange from Reward Points to Block Bux, or USD to Buildism credits, or any currency, is never static.

Have you played an online game other than ROBLOX before?
Buyable currencies within a game are used all the time, in fact a lot of games don't have membership but just a currency you can buy. The value can be static, you set a number boom done.

Virtual to Dollars isn't like a trade system, it's BUYING SOMETHING. If I buy 4 apples, I buy 4 apples regardless of how the economy is or where I am buying the apples. [bad example but you get the point]

My only problem is people getting mad and down rating places or just trolling good places in general.
[Image: siggggg.gif?t=1312782506]

[Image: signature.png?t=1312081740]
To avoid that, I think that if you review a place, you have to:

A: Have played the place

B: Have played it for more than 2 minutes

C: Write a short description of why you review it the way you do.

And, also, Tarabukka,

The big advantages that paying users get on ROBLOX doesn't come very much from buying currency -- it comes from buying the membership.

There are ways you can pay for currency without credit cards -- I believe one's called Rixty, and it adds the charge to your phone bill.

Payment isn't good for the economy? Without money there IS no economy! Economics is all about how money is spent and transferred!
Okaaaaaay. O.O
Oooo, lots of great ideas.
Only mods should be able to review

or else we'll have alt abuse
Good point, we'll need IP checks so that a user who shares an IP with a user who's voted already or made the place can't vote.
Definitely. I was about to disagree due to users being able to make alts and review their own game.
[Image: poptartFINALTINY.gif]
[Image: log.png?t=1302647037]
Also........ What shall it be called?
(07-01-2011, 04:54 PM)Qwertygiy Wrote: Good point, we'll need IP checks so that a user who shares an IP with a user who's voted already or made the place can't vote.

That isn't good for me. My parent resets the connection, so my IP changes a lot. D:

My stand on purchasable currency: No. The currency can become unbalanced.
All my mods are available here.
(07-01-2011, 07:45 PM)Nyht Wrote: My stand on purchasable currency: No. The currency can become unbalanced.

Unbalanced how exactly? If you mean that several people buy up a lot of it and it becomes less 'valuable' in general, I'm assuming that there will be a limit on how much you can purchase during a certain time period.

For example, if it costs $5.00 to buy 500 currency, then you can spend no more than 40$ a week and no more than 120$ a month.

A sort of "tax" would not be a bad idea either -- for example, if you don't log in for a straight week, you lose the amount of currency that you would have gotten by logging in each day that week (assuming there is a daily or other time-based gain of currency). This would let poorer, active users have a slight advantage over richer, inactive users.

Oh, and as for your IP? Check out portforward and their tutorial on setting up a static IP address.