Poll:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

XXX
It's a neurological disorder; not a mental one. If we were discussing Bipolar disorder, THEN it would be appropriate to say its a mental one, but we're talking about Tourette's.
I will correct you until you get it right.
I remember 5 years ago most of my doctors classified Tourette's as a mental disturbance, until they found out at Yale that Tourette's is when electrolytes aren't connected properly inside the brain, it's also when the electrolytes are not functioning as they should, which thus results in the nerves acting as they shouldn't. I am ashamed of saying this though, but I don't have full blown Tourette's. I have a mix of Parkinson's and I am VERY ashamed. Not kidding.
[Image: m2m2gSSDCz-2.png]

Well I WAS the walrus.
According to wikipedia:

"Tourette's is one of several tic disorders, which are classified by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as "disorders usually first diagnosed in infancy, childhood, or adolescence" according to type (motor or phonic tics) and duration (transient or chronic)"

If you want to get very, very specific on it, yes, Tourette's is not the same type of mental disorder as, say, chronic insomnia. But it still affects the mind and brain, and so the word 'mental' can describe it.

When I used that word to describe your Tourette's, I was not calling you crazy. I was not calling you emotional. I was not calling you stupid. I was not implying that you are in any way a bad person because your brain does not work the same way as the majority of other humans. I was simply stating that your brain does not work the same way as the majority of other humans and that this can make things frustrating and difficult for you at times.
[Image: iwn8gk.gif]
(03-16-2013, 03:50 PM)Ghosty Wrote: According to wikipedia:

"Tourette's is one of several tic disorders, which are classified by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as "disorders usually first diagnosed in infancy, childhood, or adolescence" according to type (motor or phonic tics) and duration (transient or chronic)"

If you want to get very, very specific on it, yes, Tourette's is not the same type of mental disorder as, say, chronic insomnia. But it still affects the mind and brain, and so the word 'mental' can describe it.

When I used that word to describe your Tourette's, I was not calling you crazy. I was not calling you emotional. I was not calling you stupid. I was not implying that you are in any way a bad person because your brain does not work the same way as the majority of other humans. I was simply stating that your brain does not work the same way as the majority of other humans and that this can make things frustrating and difficult for you at times.

It's something very different. Tourette's applies to the nervous system and brain. Tourette's also has many complications to it, some people have what's known as PANDAS which is lifelong streph and that can cause Tourette's. Before you wanna play Mr. Doctor, please refrain and think for a moment. Parkinson's and Epilepsy applies to the brain, doesn't it? It also applies to the nervous system. It's not a mental disorder though. Cancer of the brain applies to the brain, right? That doesn't mean it's a brain disorder as you stupidly classify it as. You are very misinformed and you can't trust everything you read. Who has Tourette's? Me or you? Me. You make too many automatic assumptions. I know you always like to be correct, but in this situation, you are not at all. Other examples of real mental disorders would be retardation, Autism (to an extent, and I am only classifying REALLY SEVERE Autism as a mental disorder), personality disorders are another true example of a mental disorder. I am not "insulting" you, quite frankly, if someone proves you are wrong please don't put up your BS.
(03-16-2013, 03:50 PM)Ghosty Wrote: According to wikipedia:

People with Tourette's have brains that function normally, Tourette's only impairs people. It's like being crippled, you wanna do something, and you can, but your disorder prevents you from doing that one thing. Before my Tourette's exploded when I was 9, I was a perfect A student, I used to get the highest grades in the class, I could play nearly all Bach, Beethoven, Rachmaniov, Liszt, Tchaicovsky, and Greig symphonies/serenades. I was independent and could do most daily life-tasks by MYSELF. Now I can't do that as I can barely sit on a chair for 30 seconds without my spine shaking and going out of compete control.

Well I WAS the walrus.
I remember having the same argument with my 9th grade health teacher...

Oak is actually right. Neurological disorders result from physical problems with the brain and nerves, which can include developmental problems (Tourette's is caused by some parts of the brain being wired incorrectly) or head trauma, for example. Mental disorders can result from neurological problems, but they can also just be behavioral or psychological.

Tourette's sometimes occurs with mental disorders like OCD, but on it's own it is neurological
Going by the chat, here's what we can all agree on:

It's not a mental disease. It's not a mental disorder. It may or may not be a mental illness, going by which definition of mental illness you're using and where you're reading. It is definitely a neurological disorder.

And it should be able to be classified as a 'mental problem' because that just means something is messed up with your brain somehow, and that is all I said.

Argument over?
[Image: iwn8gk.gif]
(03-16-2013, 04:33 PM)Jacob_ Wrote: I remember having the same argument with my 9th grade health teacher...

Oak is actually right. Neurological disorders result from physical problems with the brain and nerves, which can include developmental problems (Tourette's is caused by some parts of the brain being wired incorrectly) or head trauma, for example. Mental disorders can result from neurological problems, but they can also just be behavioral or psychological.

Tourette's sometimes occurs with mental disorders like OCD, but on it's own it is neurological

I didn't mean to give you a dumb post rating, meant to press agreed.

Well I WAS the walrus.

Minish, I don't think you should classify yourself as more capable than the rest around you when you don't know what the others are capable of. You say you would like to know someone who shares your interests but thinking and expressing that they can't function in the same level as you won't take you anyway.
[Image: evil-dead-deer.gif]
Jesus... I went to tell you how a felt about you guys and you post and post doubts about me without me speaking a single word... Wow.
(03-18-2013, 10:26 PM)Minish Wrote: Jesus... I went to tell you how a felt about you guys and you post and post doubts about me without me speaking a single word... Wow.

It's 2DWorlds, threads don't generally stay on topic for more than a page at most. Tongue