Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] My opinion about Buildism
(07-31-2011, 08:57 PM)Jacob_ Wrote:
(07-31-2011, 08:47 PM)Counterclockwork Wrote:
(07-31-2011, 08:23 PM)Ming-Yan Wrote: No game is original anymore.

Bullcrap.

(07-31-2011, 08:26 PM)Login Wrote: Nobody makes things from complete imagination. That's a common misconception. You have to get inspired. You see something good, for example, from minecraft. You'll definitely want the idea to twist it and make it even better. Minecraft got the inspiration from playing a game. And that game was inspired because of a survival topic and things that do happen.

Bullcrap.

That's the most stubborn minded thing I've heard in a while. Do you know how easy it would be to create an entirely new game that was nothing like any other? Its very easy, incredibly. Though saying that because most games created through inspiration of another is all the reason for you do to the same, is rediculous. e.g "Oh hey, I like ROBLOX. So I'll make the same exact thing in my inspiration."

Its not like you aren't allowed to, this site is obviously here for a reason. Though regardless of what you didn't interfere with to exist copyright wise, the fact is that you're putting yourself in the red from the beginning. Being inspired is one thing, but starting a poor-quality building game that is almost exactly the same when compared to other popular ones is just stupid. Its like if I tried making a game to top World of Warcraft because I was inspired by it. I've not only got to compete with it, but put in the effort which will more than likely be self-defeating.

LIST OF THINGS:
Sure. Infact, I'll just start a list.

Domino Crown in the same exact Format as the ROBLOX one. If you were to ever pass that as an original making, you're an idiot.
Domino Crown [2].
Though that is only a test, it still leaves large evidence behind about the ROBLOX ideals being taken.
Oh look, a 2008 guest. Sure I'm assuming it was a joke, but that only leaves once again more reason to question the rest of the website's originallity with their 'ideas'.
Oh wow, the void star with the old 2006 ROBLOX default character coloring format.
You script LUA, just like ROBLOX. In a game that works and has already had remade games, from ROBLOX in it.

Point being, there tons of things that are ROBLOX related in the skins section. Along with a few obvious Minecraft ones you could put aside as just a joke or for fun. Though regardless it only makes a person even more suspicious of the originallity of the site yet again, after seeing the randomized text in the upper right. The same exact thing that Minecraft does. - It doesn't matter who did it before, but the popularity is the key. If there's a game with 20,000,000 users, and you claim these ideas existed before them

You all can try and take a game's outline and idea, then rename it but not many people are going to fall for it and believe it was really your idea from the start. When I see Buildism everywhere on the site, I'm seeing ROBLOX. Did ROBLOX take their general idea from Legos? Yes, but they never published it as a free-online multi-player game where you can pretty much do anything. Lego-games in 2004, and old days when they were developing ROBLOX were hardly existant in-fact. Near that time it transitioned from RL legos, to flash games, to PS2 games, etc.

You can moan and groan all you want because of the effort you're putting in, but this will be nothing more than an independant project. If it were to ever get popular, skeptists would shoot you down in an instant. If this EVER had the popularity of Minecraft, ROBLOX, Steam, actually successful games. The majority of the population would shoot you down instantly, because its OBVIOUS that these ideas were already used, not only in ROBLOX, but many places and games.

Game creators don't make games like existing ones because they're lazy. They do it because those other games have already proven to be popular with players; just look at the FPS genre.

I sometimes read the TIGSource forums, and there's always really cool experimental games there. Usually these are getting a lot less attention than they deserve, not because they're boring or poorly made but because a lot of people have no idea what the game is about, and they're too lazy to install it and find out.

@"List of things:"

You do realize that all of those things are made by users, right? I'm sure that roblox is filled with minecraft and tf2 content and nobody cares about it

You're right about the games, and those are my exact thoughts frankly. Though the content on ROBLOX is different, ROBLOX is the competitor to this site, as well as many other websites. Minecraft and TF2 are completed games that aren't web-based. Its a bad comparison to be honest. I know ROBLOX and Minecraft are alike, who doesn't? But the fact is that the site interface and features are what really make ROBLOX popular. Its not 100% about the game, like MC are TF2 are.

So when users post TF2 stuff on their, its not like they're stealing the idea. They're just having fun, using it for a game, something. The idea is that there would be no reason to try and steal it. Out of fan-dom, users still remake and upload these things, but that's different. They're still doing it for other reasons, not to steal the idea. They're users, they don't customize and edit the site. They merely add and edit things to customize their characters, etc.

This site however has taken in to the step above, and certain features from other games like I listed were published. The skins I'll put to the side and say aren't much, they're just large causes of suspicion frankly.

PS. The LUA thing was just how ROBLOX uses LUA and how it is here, I know there are plenty of games that use LUA. I was just pointing out the coincidence of how ROBLOX's is free-create/edit, and so is this. Its not that big of a deal just a quality that could be added to the pile.

#EDIT Really? Just remove what I was asking and going over? Sheesh. That would good information you know to people who are skeptic of this game, its not like that was going to make you look bad.
(07-31-2011, 08:47 PM)Counterclockwork Wrote: That's the most stubborn minded thing I've heard in a while. Do you know how easy it would be to create an entirely new game that was nothing like any other? Its very easy, incredibly. Though saying that because most games created through inspiration of another is all the reason for you do to the same, is rediculous. e.g "Oh hey, I like ROBLOX. So I'll make the same exact thing in my inspiration."

Its not like you aren't allowed to, this site is obviously here for a reason. Though regardless of what you didn't interfere with to exist copyright wise, the fact is that you're putting yourself in the red from the beginning. Being inspired is one thing, but starting a poor-quality building game that is almost exactly the same when compared to other popular ones is just stupid. Its like if I tried making a game to top World of Warcraft because I was inspired by it. I've not only got to compete with it, but put in the effort which will more than likely be self-defeating.

LIST OF THINGS:
Domino Crown in the same exact Format as the ROBLOX one. If you were to ever pass that as an original making, you're an idiot.
Domino Crown [2].
Though that is only a test, it still leaves large evidence behind about the ROBLOX ideals being taken.
Oh look, a 2008 guest. Sure I'm assuming it was a joke, but that only leaves once again more reason to question the rest of the website's originallity with their 'ideas'.
Oh wow, the void star with the old 2006 ROBLOX default character coloring format.
You script LUA, just like ROBLOX. In a game that works and has already had remade games, from ROBLOX in it.

Point being, there tons of things that are ROBLOX related in the skins section. Along with a few obvious Minecraft ones you could put aside as just a joke or for fun. Though regardless it only makes a person even more suspicious of the originallity of the site yet again, after seeing the randomized text in the upper right. The same exact thing that Minecraft does. - It doesn't matter who did it before, but the popularity is the key. If there's a game with 20,000,000 users, and you claim these ideas existed before them

You all can try and take a game's outline and idea, then rename it but not many people are going to fall for it and believe it was really your idea from the start. When I see Buildism everywhere on the site, I'm seeing ROBLOX. Did ROBLOX take their general idea from Legos? Yes, but they never published it as a free-online multi-player game where you can pretty much do anything. Lego-games in 2004, and old days when they were developing ROBLOX were hardly existant in-fact. Near that time it transitioned from RL legos, to flash games, to PS2 games, etc.

You can moan and groan all you want because of the effort you're putting in, but this will be nothing more than an independant project. If it were to ever get popular, skeptists would shoot you down in an instant. If this EVER had the popularity of Minecraft, ROBLOX, Steam, actually successful games. The majority of the population would shoot you down instantly, because its OBVIOUS that these ideas were already used, not only in ROBLOX, but many places and games.

--I'm only saying all of this because BlandFlakes provoked me to. Like I said, I want to help you guys regardless of my second thoughts.

http://buildism.net/credits.php If you want to know how much games we were inspired off of.
[Image: poptartFINALTINY.gif]
[Image: log.png?t=1302647037]
No, he split the thread because it derailed from the main conversation
It's true, as a game developer, no game is original anymore.
The mere concept of using keys or a controller to make a character is unoriginal. Using camera scrolling and multiple worlds of different difficulties is unoriginal.

Even portal is unoriginal, there are 100s of puzzle games and it's also an FPS game and everyone knows FPS games are based off of DOOM.
I dare you to make an original game that has no resemblance to anything else.

Come back with something and I might believe your claim of it being "easy".
ROBLOX's interface doesn't make it different, I made a list.
[Image: siggggg.gif?t=1312782506]

[Image: signature.png?t=1312081740]
(07-31-2011, 09:16 PM)Ming-Yan Wrote: It's true, as a game developer, no game is original anymore.
The mere concept of using keys or a controller to make a character is unoriginal. Using camera scrolling and multiple worlds of different difficulties is unoriginal.

Even portal is unoriginal, there are 100s of puzzle games and it's also an FPS game and everyone knows FPS games are based off of DOOM.
I dare you to make an original game that has no resemblance to anything else.

Come back with something and I might believe your claim of it being "easy".
ROBLOX's interface doesn't make it different, I made a list.

Alright ming, I am know going to make a 100% original game.
Gotta be original control scheme, original scrolling/panning, original character, story, level design, physics, objective, graphics.
[Image: siggggg.gif?t=1312782506]

[Image: signature.png?t=1312081740]
(07-31-2011, 09:36 PM)Ming-Yan Wrote: Gotta be original control scheme, original scrolling/panning, original character, story, level design, physics, objective, graphics.

it will be trust me... trust me... Buhahahaha
EDIT:: I'll even make the title of the game in my own damn language I'm creating Big Grin
No matter how unoriginal the games are, as long as they are entertaining and addicting, I will play it for the heck of it. :gun_bandana: :lol: :thumbdown: