Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposition for programming tutorials (You decide!)
(08-05-2011, 01:35 PM)CoderRyne Wrote:
(08-05-2011, 11:40 AM)noob007 Wrote:
(08-04-2011, 02:52 PM)CoderRyne Wrote: You see, Java is incredibly fast, powerful, efficient, professional, and simple enough to use to make a great game or pretty much anything that you want to make. Not to mention, unlike other languages such as C++, Java was built so that it is cross-platformed by default! You don't need to recompile your programs on Windows, Mac, Linux, etc, every time you want to update your program. When I first started Java, I promise to you that I wrote the slowest, dumbest programs that the world has ever seen. What was I doing wrong though?

C++ is actually more cross-platform than Java. The Java programming language was made only to work on the Java platform, while C++ can run on virtually any software platform.

(Let me respond to your post in a way that (almost) everyone here can understand).

Almost every C++ program has been written as Windows OS-specific <==== This, my friend, is crap. Sorry.

What Java does is it creates a software platform that runs on top of the OS, and enables programs written for said platform to run on many OS's.

So, consider you have an abstraction library (Qt) and write cross-platform code in a native language (C++). You compile said code, and use the linker to generate executables for each OS. It gets almost as easy as Java.

What I want to say is, using Java over C++ only for the cross-platform(ness) is a very poor reason.
I do agree with you that using Java only for its default cross-platforming capabilities is a very silly reason to use it for a program. The thing is, there are plenty of other reasons why programmers choose Java to write their programs. You will see these reasons scattered throughout my tutorials.
-CoderRyne
Ryne Thiel
I am honestly excited to see your tutorial.
[Image: poptartFINALTINY.gif]
[Image: log.png?t=1302647037]
(08-05-2011, 06:17 PM)Login Wrote: I am honestly excited to see your tutorial.

Yeah, they turned out pretty okay, considering I had a full-blown migraine while I was making them.
-CoderRyne
Ryne Thiel
(08-05-2011, 06:52 PM)CoderRyne Wrote:
(08-05-2011, 06:17 PM)Login Wrote: I am honestly excited to see your tutorial.

Yeah, they turned out pretty okay, considering I had a full-blown migraine while I was making them.

In other words, you're working on tweaking them as of now?
[Image: poptartFINALTINY.gif]
[Image: log.png?t=1302647037]
That's correct. Another issue I see with making these videos is the fact that Youtube will only allow videos 15 minutes and under; what will I do to upload the longer ones? My third was 25 minutes of constant lecturing...
-CoderRyne
Ryne Thiel
1.) Would you like to learn the Java programming language and almost everything about it in a large series of Buildism-only tutorials?
-Yes, I was going to get a book from the library next school holidays, but this will probably be better
2.) If so, would you like the tutorials written in text, or in videos?
- Videos _if_ you have a microphone, otherwise text
3.) If Jacob would allow for the tutorials to be placed on Buildism (so that they are for Buildism only), would you like that more than them being visible to everyone on Youtube? After all, it would be a perk for new players to join Buildism.
- I am indifferent
(08-06-2011, 02:50 PM)CoderRyne Wrote: That's correct. Another issue I see with making these videos is the fact that Youtube will only allow videos 15 minutes and under; what will I do to upload the longer ones? My third was 25 minutes of constant lecturing...

Just split it into two parts
http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bi...wer=185316
Maybe that will help.

Also I am looking forward to these tutorials I have a book about Java but it is really outdated.
[Image: AmZJnA9.png]
Glome,

I saw that page too. I tried uploading my video with it; it took 2.5 hours, and then it informed me that it was "too long for Youtube" after it finished uploading. Hence, it broke.
-CoderRyne
Ryne Thiel
Use the advanced java uploader. Or have us download the video ourselves.
[Image: chaosthegreat.png]